Michigan Governor, Rick Snyder, has just signed the Republican bill that will selectively test welfare recipients for drugs.
to the amazing anonymous donor who gave me a gift subscription for 2015. It is greatly appreciated. May you have a wonderful Holiday and Happiest of New Year !
Year after year, Detroit and Windsor, Ontario celebrate our international friendship and our love of freedom. What used to be called the "Freedom Festival" is now sponsored by Ford and Target. There is a huge fireworks display on the Detroit River with music for hundreds of thousands of folks on both sides of the border - people getting along just fine with no stinkin' fence.
The Democratic Convention had a nice change of pace from the hate-filled music that is heard at many Republican events by such "musicians" (and I use that word loosely) as Hank Williams Jr. or Ted Nugent.
Ruth's List Florida, a pro-choice group that seeks to elect Democratic women to office, says it has paid for this billboard to greet attendees of the Republican National Convention in Tampa. The billboard is at the intersection of I-275 and Armenia. Officially, city elections are nonpartisan, but Mayor Bob Buckhorn and council members are registered Democrats.
Note: Below is an illustration of what the billboard looks like.
Wow - what a wild weather day here in SE Michigan!
Normally we have one of the safest states in the country in terms of events of this kind. And after having the mildest winter I can ever remember in my 67 years here, this is really a shock.
Michigan HB 4929 is just recent legislation passed intended to crush our unions in the state. By not allowing payroll deduction of union dues, individual employees must write a check each month to their unions to pay their dues. No matter how loyal or well-intentioned union members may be, this is likely to result in many people not paying their union dues regularly, on time or maybe not paying them at all. What better way to destroy a union?
Several articles have been written here about the possible connection between hydraulic fracturing (fracking) and the recent earthquakes in Oklahoma.
There is an interesting article over at HuffPost about how the extended Bush tax cuts have resulted in a loss of $11.6 million per hour in tax revenues for our country. Check it out: Cost of Bush Tax Cuts
Teapublicans in Congress have blocked any attempt to raise revenues during these tough times 'cuz Grover will slap 'em down if they allow the rich to be taxed. All of the Teapublican candidates constantly claim President Obama is "running up the debt."
Every year for the last 50 years or so, a big celebration occurs in Detroit & Windsor, neighboring cities separated by the Detroit River. Canada celebrates Canada Day on July 1st and we celebrate Independence Day on July 4th - so why not combine the two with a huge party with one of the greatest fireworks displays in the world? It's going on right now with music and rockets synchronized in an amazing display. Its even more amazing that two countries can get along so well and share a common dream of freedom. After choirs sang "Oh Canada" and "The Star Spangled Banner" - the first song played was John Lennon's "Imagine".
So our governor, with a stroke of his pen and the cooperation of his GOP lackeys in the Michigan legislature has cut education funding in Michigan more drastically than at any time in the history of our state.
Here in SE Michigan, we've been watching the emergency trial since about 8 am this morning. There has been a jury selected to make this decision about whether and/or where this Florida pastor will be allowed to carry out his 5 pm protest at the Islamic Center of America in Dearbon.
Recommended by moose67
- Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do -- babysit! We can get that for ...276 comments 654 Recs
- Talk about turning some damning news into a ray of sunshine. Several of them, if you count the number of frenetic Tweets. First the crux of the "bad news" for Chris Christie announced today ... ...90 comments 67 Recs
- We're now all waiting to see Hillary Clinton unveil her game changing vision for the 2016 election. Recently her tributes to Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren suggest she's open to ditching the B....6 comments 21 Recs
- Photo courtesy of J.M. Giordano at the Baltimore City Paper Public Defender Marci Tarrant Johnson posted this story on ...78 comments 258 Recs
- Welcome to the Tuesday edition of the Coffee Hour at Street Prophets. This is an open thread where we can discuss what’s happening in our lives, what we’ve been working on, and our opinions on ...12 comments 18 Recs
- President Obama appeared at the White House Correspondents' Dinner this weekend. The president was self-deprecating at times. He continued to milk the "Obama as a foreign Muslim" angle to loud ...107 comments 227 Recs
- Mountains have always been an important part of my life: they are magnificent to look at and sometimes fun to hike in. Join me below the great orange peak for a photo excursion into a recent ...5 comments 22 Recs
- Originally posted at Eclectablog . After the owner of Indiana pizzeria Memories publicly declared she wouldn't make her pies for same-sex weddings, she raked in well over $800,000 from a GoFundMe....61 comments 183 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...59 comments 218 Recs
- This article originally appeared at TomDispatch.com. To receive TomDispatch in your inbox three times a week, click here . I noticed recently that the catastrophe area that was once the great city ...1 comments 7 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.