While I was walking in Kansas City's famed Loose Park, I happened upon this sign in the front yard of a nearby house. The neighborhood surrounding the park consists of upper class homes. Apparently, even some among the 1% are not happy with the Republican Party.
to follow US Rep Emmanuel Cleaver's example (D, 5th District, Missouri)? He just posted this comment on his Facebook page:
"For all who have asked, I will not accept a paycheck until our fellow federal employees are back on the job, where they should be. I have directed the Chief Administrative Officer to withhold my salary during this very dangerous and disappointing government shutdown."
Link: Emmanuel Cleaver
Makes me proud that I voted him.
I have a number of Tea Party friends on Facebook who for some reason still have not defriended me yet. I keep them around because I like to be able to gauge just how crazy the Republicans can get. They never disappoint me. So below the fold are comments that my friends have been posting about President Obama's reelection.
Once again Kansas is hogging the title for most insane state in the nation as a three member panel debate as to whether to keep President Obama off the ballot because of birther complaints. Secretary of State Kris Kobach is claiming that there is not enough evidence to prove that Barack Obama is a natural born citizen. Check out Kansas Cuty Star article
The panel made up of three Kansas officials have sent off for more information from Hawaii, Arizona, and Mississippi. Will a federal court please step in and stop Kansas from embarrassing itself anymore?
Gail Collins has been almost fanatical about mentioning Mitt Romney's dog being strapped to the roof of the car on a family vacation to Canada. Rob Reiner mentioned the incident in last night on Realtime with Bill Maher. My sister has suggested that if Romney does get the Republican nomination, we should make this a campaign button:
Even Mitt Romney's dog is voting for Obama!
Note: I am not a graphic artist obviously, so don't go overboard. And technically Seamus is deceased, so we will just have to invoke his spirit. ;-)
On Saturday, my 9-year-old son and I worked on building a snow rocket outside on the front lawn of our house while our neighbor across the street worked on his own snow sculpture. We had a lot of fun playing around in the snow and I wanted to share some of the photos with you.
WOW! NPR just posted some pictures of the new Islamic cultural center proposed for the Park51 site and WOW! I must say that the building looks amazing and impressive. Sharif El-Gamal has shown some real vision in developing this site. The pictures are below the fold.
I just recently read a paper detailing in brief 7 definitions or perspectives on humanism written by John Weston a former minister of Unitarian Universalist church that I attend on a regular basis. I thought I should share it with the rest of you. While I am aware of the 3 paragraph rule, the paper will be printed below the divide in its entirety since there are no links available to paper online and many people may have difficulty finding article in their local library. The paper's focus is the commonality that UU's share with each other in the humanist tradition even with those members who do not describe themselves as humanists. In this paper, many of you may find some commonality and reasons behind some of our own conflicts with each other.
Last week, on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Milky J appeared to defend the Hubble Space Telescope against the upcoming new James Webb Space Telescope:
One of Saturn's more unusual moons, Mimas, just got a little weirder. The Cassini spacecraft took surface temperature measurements of Mimas around February 13 to create a composite map displayed on the right. The image literally looks like Pacman eating eat a Pac-dot (Herschel Crater). Or as Phil Plait would say Holy Pareidolia!
Just when you thought Kansas couldn't get any wackier and more dangerous, those Kansas lawmakers up the ante. Despite opposition from Kansas Board of Regents, the League of Kansas Municipalities, Kansas Association of Counties, Kansas Peace Officers Association, Kansas Highway Patrol and Kansas Association of Police Chiefs, the Kansas House passed an expanded concealed guns law on March 24, by a vote of 65-57, which would allow those people with conceal carry permits to carry guns into most state and city buildings including university and college campuses. Who wants to go to school in a state where any average Joe can bring a gun on campus legally? This is a prescription for violence.
Remember 1993? When President Clinton co-opted the Republican agenda and so began the era of the 'New Democrats'. A Democrat who was promoting and passing the Republicans' agenda in free trade, banking, deregulation, and welfare. No matter what the Republicans did they could not touch Bill Clinton. He always came out on top. The Repubs won control of Congress, President Clinton still beat them. They played a game of chicken shutting down the government and got squashed like bugs by Bill Clinton. They tried to invade his personal life and made public to the whole world the seamier side of politics and still Bill Clinton slipped through their fingers. Bill Clinton left office one of the most popular Presidents in history. The Republicans were left scratching their collective heads vowing never again. Long after Clinton left office, Repubs were still screaming his name in agony.
So here in 2010, along comes the Democrats and President Barack Obama proposing healthcare reform similar to what the Republicans proposed in the Senate back in 1993 called "Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993", sponsored by no less than 19 Republican Senators. Yep, that's right! President Obama co-opted the Republican healthcare bill from 1993! More below the fold.
Recommended by NellaSelim
- The government will reopen tomorrow and the debt ceiling will not be hit, thanks to House Democrats who voted tonight to pass the deal brokered by Senators Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell.278 comments 106 Recs
- As a former reporter on the local and state government beat in Virginia (among other places), tonight's royal fuck-up by the Associated Press really pisses me off. Just over an hour ago, the "...237 comments 380 Recs
- 173 comments 40 Recs
- If it looks like a coup and smells like a coup...198 comments 318 Recs
- For nearly a week so-called nonessential services in the US government has shut down due to a budget impasse over a House demands that link deferral of Obama's signature legislation The Affordable ...239 comments 206 Recs
- let's take a moment here to remember the true losers of this campaign - Karl Rove, Crossroads GPS, and all those billionaires who threw hundreds of millions of dollars representing a puny fraction ...251 comments 510 Recs
- I am one of those horrible public school teachers you and your husband and your party see as "the enemy". I started teaching in 1995 at a K-12 public, community school (one of only about six in ...234 comments 871 Recs
- Sparse on details but Jesus! How sad: Amy Winehouse Confirmed Dead For those of us who see ...260 comments 101 Recs
- The Wall Street Journal reported July 9, 2010, that there's been an Advance in Quest for HIV Vaccine . ...9 comments 692 Recs
- Good morning fellow Kossacks! I do hate to disrupt your day with this selfish plea, but I'm at my wit's end. I can't sign into my long-time account, ...191 comments 77 Recs
- No current results.