Daily Kos memberGive a gift subscription to this user
Peak Oil is a subject that I became aware of last year through DailyKos ( thanks Jerome ) and have been digging into it ever since. Needless to say to anyone who has looked deeply into the subject, there is a lot of information and a lot of different views on the subject. Indeed, there are sometimes such divergences in the views of the "experts" that you wonder if everybody is looking at the same data. For example, almost every year between 2004 and 2025 has been picked as the year that oil production peaks by people who are in the industry or those who analyze the industry. Additionally, you can also here a welter of experts who will argue about how fast the rate of oil production will drop, the reasonableness of various alternatives, and sundry other matters. With all of this information and argumentation flying around, I thought that I would put forth some of the conclusions that I have come to in digging into this debate. Here are some of the things that I have concluded:
I was watching Hardball on Thursday night and Chris Matthews had on Former Commerce Secretary Don Evans. Secretary Evans is a good personal friend to President Bush and a former member of his administration. Amazingly enough during the interview, there is this exchange:Continue Reading
Let me start off by mentioning that one of the greatest scientific discoveries of the decade has recently occurred and odds are that you missed it. It has to do with the ability to mass produce industry ready nanotube sheets . At this point, I can hear a collective "OK, what the heck are those and why should I care". Step into my lab and let me explain.Continue Reading
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Recommended by phasmatis
- First, go have a look at this page . This is the full list of futures for oil, ie how much it costs you today to purchase a ...668 comments 303 Recs
- Over the weekend, Barry Ritholtz over at the Big Picture blog had one of the most thought provoking posts I have read. It's titled "Investing in a Post-Fact Society (a/k/a, Were the Good Times a ...406 comments 292 Recs
- Access to health care is one of the biggest issues in our politics. 47 million Americans, 9 million of them children, lack health insurance, and 10's of millions more have insurance that is less ...14 comments 12 Recs
- This will be a short diary. I can't comment very much, but I felt the community might like to know that the GSEs -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- are now in a "no bid" situation for hybrid ARM ...80 comments 48 Recs
- Do not have much time, so will keep this short. Not much news on this breaking story, but yesterday was a big fecal storm for Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Not only did their stock prices drop, or ...16 comments 9 Recs
- Rembrandt Koppelaar, who writes (alongside yours truly) for the European branch of the Oil Drum , and runs ...198 comments 117 Recs
- I am not a great fan of William F. Buckley, one of the fathers of modern conservatism. But his obvious intelligence and willingness to live in reality (more so as Mr. Buckley has gotten older) make ...303 comments 349 Recs
- [From the diaries - BarbinMD] THIS IS AN ACTION DIARY. Action Item 1. Please watch this video:175 comments 115 Recs
- At least what I think should be your next big story. That is covering the Bush administration’s rush to go to war with Iran. I would hope that if you focused on this story with a series of ...25 comments 20 Recs
- He has no plan to attack Iran? Really, that's the essence of what our Dear President said the other ...45 comments 44 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.