The front page article had anecdotes on various polling places around the country. I thought I would throw out a poll to consolidate information better. It might be easier to see how voting is going in chart form. In my very blue precinct in a very blue city in a blue county in a blue state, turnout was heavy. But then we did not have any really contested seats.
Today I got the renewal letter from Blue Cross Blue Shield. As they have done every year, I expected that there would be somewhat of an increase in my premium and the deductible. Last year the increase was in the range of 8% and the deductible increased by $100. I was expecting around the same increase.
They did not fail to disappoint. My premium increased by a whopping 10% and the deductible by another $200. I was upset, but only slightly.
What really got me though was the letter that accompanied the rate increase.
The costs of heath care and prescription drugs continue to rise.
Costs of most things are going down, except of course the service they provide.
Covered individuals are using more services
Oh right, it must be entirely our fault. The poor struggling company is doing all it can, despite us greedy consumers who take and take.
We promise we are doing all we can to manage costs
Sure they are, manage costs for themselves, by kicking off the sick from their rolls. But of course despite their "cost management" I'm not holding my breath expecting the savings to be passed on to me.
One thing people need to understand is that the Prophet Muhammad is not portrayed anywhere. Not in writing not in pictures. I have no idea whether he was tall or short-fat or thin-had long hair short hair or no hair at all. I cannot say with any certainty whether he wore a beard and a turban. The media however has chosen to represent Islam in this manner. A terrorist in a beard and turban.
The Senate, by a 51-49 vote, rejected an attempt by Democrats and GOP moderates to remove a refuge drilling provision from next year's budget.
The action, assuming Congress agrees on a budget, clears the way for approving drilling in the refuge later this year, drilling supporters said.
He thanked folks for working on the election and said that he really appreciated the hard work and support. He then launched into his talk about how appalling it is that there are so many kids without health insurance-and that the republicans give the wealthy tax cuts while cutting Medicaid. He also took a few jabs at the republican for trying to end the filibuster and Bush on polluting the environment.
Subscribtion required so here is the jist of the article.
Minutes later, Polzin left furious and empty-handed. She said the pharmacist on duty refused to help her. "She kept repeating the same line: 'I won't fill it for moral reasons,' " Polzin said.
Earlier this year, Adriane Gilbert called a pharmacy in Richfield to ask if her birth-control prescription was ready. She said the person who answered told her to go elsewhere because he was opposed to contraception. "I was shocked," Gilbert said. "I had no idea what to do."
Recommended by treehugger
- Today, the United Kingdom goes to the polls to elect a new Parliament. Polls closed at 5 PM ET, but different seats will report at different times. The first results are expected between 6-7 PM ET,136 comments 21 Recs
- Image Credit: Flickr ...89 comments 177 Recs
- Every few years an economic event will happen that can be easily seen by everyone except mainstream economists. Today that economic event is a global tidalwave of deflation that is sweeping the ...23 comments 36 Recs
- Mohammed Omer's twitter feed is deeply alarming and very, very worrisome. We need to bear witness to the atrocities happening right now in Gaza. It is 3:30 Am in Gaza and the city is being pummeled, ...734 comments 268 Recs
- ... to let you know that we, well not us personally, actually one or more of our bombs, missiles and/or shells, each of which proudly bears the US Government Seal of Approval , will be dropping in ...408 comments 169 Recs
- The BBC reports that the Palestinians win upgraded UN status by wide margin. This confirms the CNN live reports now of the same news. The UN General Assembly has voted to grant the ...343 comments 203 Recs
- Originally published in Tikkun Daily | Rabbi Eric Yoffie has penned a Haaretz opinion piece directed at progressive, U.S. Jews that is so deluded and insidious, it's as though it was ...328 comments 197 Recs
- This is a very personal story about something that shames me, but I made a promise to someone that I would write it today. We're living through very difficult times as individuals and as a society.113 comments 307 Recs
- I recently had breakfast at a "community seating" establishment. That means they fill up all their tables by seating complete strangers at the same table -- if there's a seat open, somebody's ass ...171 comments 617 Recs
- Two-thirds of the plan would continue current policies (Photo source: ...378 comments 47 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.