Pombo is relentless.
The provision is contained in Section 6204 of the bill.
He's a nutbag. Just a few days ago, Rep. Pombo was backtracking from legislation that would have sold off 15 national parks. But now, he's trying to go about it in a more secretive way by attacking not only national parks but national wildlife refuges, and Congressionally established Wilderness for private profit. Remember, this is about ideaology, not energy.
YELLOWSTONE - BROUGHT TO YOU BY COCA-COLA
DISNEY BRINGS YOU THE GRAND STAIRCASE ESCALANTE
These are public lands. Your lands.
The draft reconciliation package would also:
- Open up protected areas of the Outer Continental Shelf to leasing and drilling;
- Require the "patenting," or sale, of valuable mining claims on public lands for $1000 each or about $50/acre;
- Requires that 35 percent of the nation's oil shale resources be conveyed to corporations in a single fire sale;
- Declare an unwritten environmental impact statement on oil shale development "deemed adequate" to fulfill all legal requirements;
- Re-open provisions of the recently enacted energy policy act to require the Bureau of Land Management to "rush to judgment" in considering oil and gas drilling permits on public lands and national forests.