The German press is understandably furious with Secretary Rice and the United States. The opposition parties have called for hearings in German government complicity in the renditions. Hold on to your seats, the firestorm of anger in Germany is just beginning.
This was supposed to be the beginning of a new era in German-US relations. Condi and Angela Merkel were supposed to show that with Gerhard Schroeder gone Germany was willing to work constructively with the Bush administration. Even the illegal rendition of the German citizen - Khaled Masri - could not interfere with the photo-op: Merkel - speaking in English - said that Secretary Rice admitted that US had "made a mistake". But Condi's eyes betrayed her anger as Merkel made this remark. Later, on the plane to Romania, Condi's team made the following comment to the press: "We are not quite sure what was in her head." The US did not make a mistake in the abduction and rendition of Masri; Condi simply informed Merkel that he had been detained and released.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Caelian, lysias, exNYinTX, Cache, RumsfeldResign, nolajazz, KMc, mrblifil, Bulldawg, bleargh, Cordelia Lear, parkslopper50, DrReason, Lookingforwardtothefuture, vacantlook, sharkbite, nehark, YucatanMan, LNK, hardisun, Shiborg, Land of Enchantment, PatsBard, dougymi, Knighterrant
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by DowneastDem
- Now that the Democratic primaries now include at least three major players: Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and Martin O'Malley, and likely one or two more decent candidates before we're through, ...38 comments 44 Recs
- One might think that as the subject of innumerable books, a Hollywood movie, and status as a feminist and artistic icon, there wouldn’t be anything more to add to the conversation on Frida Kahlo.9 comments 22 Recs
- Many progressives, myself included, have fallen into the globalization argument trap when accounting for chronically high average levels of unemployment in the US and low overall GDP growth rates or ...66 comments 32 Recs
- As the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination heats up, one name keeps popping up as the GOP's go-to guy on poverty, economic inequality and social policy. "My views on this were ...55 comments 87 Recs
- William Pfaff, a longtime commentator on American foreign policy, died this weekend . Pfaff's heyday was the 1970s when he wrote a regular column for William Shawn's New Yorker. After that, he went ...7 comments 10 Recs
- I'm in the middle of a training programme to teach on courses run by a well-known online education provider, one that has a close association with the Clintons. I'm not allowed to name the company--...5 comments 4 Recs
- Our new governor here in Pennsylvania sent out an email today asking us to "show the world that Pennsylvania is the place William Penn envisioned: inclusive and open for all." Governor Tom Wolf ...114 comments 194 Recs
- I'm going to focus only on the question of Israel's policy towards Palestinians and the Occupied Territories. I'm going to ignore economic issues since frankly they have limited interest to most ...35 comments 22 Recs
- It appears the the Republicans may have finally over-extended themselves. Their actions over the last few weeks have gone way beyond anything a sane person would regard as civil discourse and ...360 comments 99 Recs
- When Bill Clinton first ran for president and brought his wife onto the stage, not as his adorable blond cheerleader-chick Hillary Homemaker, but as his full-on, professional, degreed and ...138 comments 24 Recs
- No current results.