The Foley scandal, co-pollster Peter Hart (D) says, has been "the coagulate of this election" in that it served to harden all of voters' various uncertainties about the Republican leadership in Congress. The scandal hit two different buttons, Hart says: "Children are our central nervous system," and also, "the leadership were more interested in saving their own skins, and they acted like politicians instead of acting like fathers." Although the poll shows that the scandal has not seriously undercut the GOP's traditional advantage over Democrats when it comes to promoting strong moral values, 55% of those polled who've heard about the scandal are dissatisfied with the way GOP leaders handled it. The upshot, per Hart, is that voters now feel as though they have permission to vote against the party.That knowledge points to Hastert, the albatross next to Bush's anvil, each hanging around every Republican congressman's neck. New revelations about Foley reinforce what people think they already know: cover-up.
Also rather problematic for Republicans: Foley is recognized by a remarkable 83% of the electorate; 69% view him negatively. House Majority Leader John Boehner and former House Clerk Jeff Trandahl are scheduled to testify before the Ethics Committee today about their knowledge of Foley's inappropriate behavior toward pages.
From First Read, reviewing their NBC/WSJ poll:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Greg Dworkin
- I was in Selma, Alabama on the historic Freedom Day to register voters. Tensions were high and leaders were escalating their tactics. I saw the inequality and violence that African-Americans ...49 comments 295 Recs
- According to the doctrine of constitutional avoidance, the court should seek to interpret a statute in order to avoid a constitutional question. In my previous posts on King v. Burwell , I ...51 comments 62 Recs
- Vaccinations don't cause autism. But not vaccinating does spread contagious diseases like measles. In 1998, Andrew Wakefield conducted a study of 12 children linking the MMR vaccine to the onset of ...145 comments 149 Recs
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 713 Recs
- This article was written by Dorit Rubinstein Reiss, Professor of Law at the University of California Hastings College of the Law in San ...285 comments 127 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'm rec-begging this time...because there's a graph at the end which took a *ton* of time to put together, and I'd hate to see it go down the memory hole. First, a quiet, normal ...53 comments 587 Recs
- Though living in France, I occasionally follow debates on Daily Kos, and it seems to me that Charlie Hebdo's controversial cartooning style when it comes to religion is not completely understood ...191 comments 254 Recs
- This began as a comment to another post, now on the recommended list, written by someone I respect immensely as a person of tremendous integrity. I write it not "against" what my fellow poster wrote,328 comments 225 Recs
- For the last few days I've been faced with a quandary. How to denounce murder, defend free-speech and a free press and how to "not be Charlie," (Je ne suis ...1147 comments 365 Recs
- I am putting a meta tag on this diary since it is about what happens on Daily Kos and my experience with it. However, my purpose is not to gripe and complain about the site or users that I don't ...162 comments 86 Recs