Here in Carbondale, Illinois we're getting ready for some local elections on April 17th. Our candidate for Mayor, Sheila Simon, has a last name many of you will recognize because she is the daughter of Senator Paul Simon. Sheila is the real thing folks, a real people powered and people oriented candidate, and I hope you'll do just a bit tonight to help get her elected as Mayor of Carbondale so we can convince her to run in a few years for a higher office...because seriously, Carbondale needs Sheila Simon, but Democracy needs her, or more candidates like her everywhere.
Here's a bit about why she's running:
I am running for mayor because I think I can do the job well. A good mayor should be able to listen well, with patience. A good mayor should be able to reframe problems as opportunities. A good mayor should be able to help people work together. A good mayor should get the job done without needing to take credit. A good mayor should encourage everyone to participate in city government. And a good mayor should have a real Working Plan for Carbondale to make it happen.
I was able to talk to Sheila Simon today for about 45 minutes, and in that time I was struck by how real she was. I mean, I've met "real" politicians before, but Sheila didn't strike me as a politician-- she was a real person --just like you and me. She is genuine and honest and she's a problem-solver -- perhaps the most important quality in a candidate.
Did I mention she was honest? Check out her action plan for "Integrity in Campaigning":
1. I will not accept campaign donations over $50.
2. I will not accept campaign donations from city employees.
3. I will disclose the names of donors to my campaign.
4. I have made public my most recent tax return and a report on my income and assets. I will make these disclosures annually as mayor.
5. I have signed and will abide by the Illinois Code of Fair Campaign Practices.
Sheila's plan for Carbondale includes action on some of the very issues that are so important to Kossacks and progressives in general:
Many of these issues aren't solely issues that affect Carbondale. These are things that relate to communities all over the United States, and town by town we should elect Mayors that will pledge to promote progressive values, as I believe Sheila Simon will do. This is a candidate that rides her bicycle to work, wants to put solar panels on city buildings, and find ways to help citizens afford solar power in the future. This is a candidate who believes Democracy works:
I would like to learn about you and learn from you. One of the reasons I have started my campaign early is to be able to spend a good part of my summer listening. I want to know what you think about Carbondale, what works, what doesn’t work, and how we can do better.
So, let's help get her elected Mayor! You can contribute to her campaign by clicking here. And don't forget that note from above about campaign donations. How about we just make it an even $50 :-) Word on the street is that this money could help put up an advertisement that Barack Obama is doing for Sheila...I know y'all want to help get that on the local airwaves! (And remember...Carbondale television is seen by people outside of Carbondale too!)
Oh...and what are some other important people from Illinois saying about Sheila Simon? Don't just take my word for how great she is...
"Sheila is incredibly talented, serious about the issues and with her experience on the city council, she is very familiar with the opportunities and challenges Carbondale faces. What I can say is that I love Sheila Simon and I think she would make an outstanding mayor." – U.S. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)
"Over the years, I have really looked forward to Simon campaigns. You know why? They're different. You know why they're different? Not just because you have a Simon aspiring for higher office. Just listen as Sheila describes this campaign. This is a campaign that reaches to the middle schools, and maybe even the grade schools. It inspires young people who might be sitting around playing with a gameboy or x-boxes, instead they're here, being a part of the process. It's a campaign that engages volunteers. It's a campaign that always, if it's a Simon campaign, going to have a little something extra when it comes to integrity and honesty. And that's what Sheila brings to it."
"It's a campaign that even though she may be running for Mayor of a town, she's thinking of the larger context, about the future of Carbondale and the future of the people who are living here. It's a campaign that inspires you because she's inspiring. Inspiring because she's doing it for the right reasons." – U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL)
"Sheila Simon is a fantastic example of an experienced leader who understands the essential role environmental conservation plays in sustaining the social and economic health of our cities." – Amanda Espitia, Executive Director of the Illinois League of Conservation Voters
kos makes a remark and gets a correction and horror stories.
VolvoDrivingLiberal has a question generated by the 'concern' of a frequent poster.
Frankenoid has a fund raising idea.
sobermom posted some important links in the same diary.
Meteor Blades on the roots of abuse in the companion diary, Remembering Alicia: Domestic Violence Comes Home, also a must-read, which was written by Got A Grip, who shared her own horrifying experience in a comment.
a gilas girl talks about self-awareness and sexism.
revbludge has a simple request of Senator Feingold. Oh the understatement...
Serendipity leaves a quoteworthy comment. What really got me was this: "The real cause here is cro-magnon conservatism coupled (like dogs couple) to religious fanaticism."
Unstable Isotope starts off a really long...but good thread in last night's Feminisms diary.
myriad reminds us why men insult women.
Rippen Kitten tells us what "Bitch" means.
And I hate to nominate my own comment...but the conversation here between myself and myriad about using "pussy" as an insult is a good one.
Top Mojo...with much thanks to Sardonyx...who we love :-)
Top Mojo excluding search-identifiable tip jars, first diary comments, and C&J comments:
1) THANK YOU by Zwoof — 125
2) Nancy Pelosi's trip has already earned praise.... by rickeagle — 123
3) now how the hell by AlyoshaKaramazov — 79
4) Senators on board this train, so far by bumblebums — 76
5) Speaking of Rule of Law... by cskendrick — 72
6) Republican Congressman rebukes Bush by FishOutofWater — 71
7) I don't know. by AlyoshaKaramazov — 64
8) I think she's just raising the political stakes by cskendrick — 63
9) Yes, you're right, pico... by Got a Grip — 63
10) IANAL and cannot answer for diarist, but by teacherken — 61
11) Senator, if you come back to read ... by Chacounne — 58
12) We try to reassure ourselves by sayitaintso — 55
13) The USA cannot enforce the gag apparently... by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo — 55
14) Thank You Senator by Mr X — 54
15) Speak for yourself -- Gore already won an by Torta — 54
16) Interesting topic by Unstable Isotope — 53
17) It's just so much silliness. by Bill in Portland Maine — 53
18) StevenD's diary covers it well by Crashing Vor — 52
19) Don't worry, David. by Miss Blue — 52
20) srkp23's take action section by Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse — 50
21) The McCarthy analogy is, uh, inexact by Dallasdoc — 50
22) I think the reason.. by drchelo — 49
23) Senator by litigatormom — 48
24) You Killed My Punch Line. Prepare To Die. by Ray Radlein — 47
25) Fuck you by Zwoof — 47
26) This video was on CNN, and it made me weep by adigal — 46
27) CNN hasn't known what to do with themselves... by turnover — 45
28) Please recommend!!!! by ilyana — 44
29) Well, at least one of the top 5 by philgoblue — 44
30) Did you see Iglesias on Hardball? by steelman — 44
Top Mojo with No Exclusions:
1) Tip Jar for Nancy Pelosi by Welshman — 402
2) I've been quiet during this whole event... by NYBri — 220
3) Maybe by DarkSyde — 202
4) remembering alicia - and loving zwoof by Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse — 165
5) I wasn't going to post anything today by clammyc — 158
6) I'm home sick today. Need sympathy mojo. by Bill in Portland Maine — 157
7) Go for is Russ! by The Third Man — 133
8) Tips for hope for cancer treatments? by TomP — 132
9) THANK YOU by Zwoof — 125
10) Nancy Pelosi's trip has already earned praise.... by rickeagle — 123
11) I know there's been a lot of controversy by pico — 113
12) Tip jar by davidsirota — 97
13) Why I Support The Troops by cityduck — 88
14) David, I obviously agree by BWasikIUgrad — 80
15) now how the hell by AlyoshaKaramazov — 79
16) Senators on board this train, so far by bumblebums — 76
17) it's tiresome to have to say this over and over by thereisnospoon — 74
18) Tips for getting... by uniongal — 73
19) Speaking of Rule of Law... by cskendrick — 72
20) Republican Congressman rebukes Bush by FishOutofWater — 71
21) Malveaux was fucking pathetic by givemhellHarryR — 67
22) I don't know. by AlyoshaKaramazov — 64
23) Yes, you're right, pico... by Got a Grip — 63
24) I think she's just raising the political stakes by cskendrick — 63
25) IANAL and cannot answer for diarist, but by teacherken — 61
26) Senator, if you come back to read ... by Chacounne — 58
27) The USA cannot enforce the gag apparently... by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo — 55
28) We try to reassure ourselves by sayitaintso — 55
29) Tip Jar by Jesselyn Radack — 54
30) Thank You Senator by Mr X — 54