Welcome to the Midnight Oil. This diary is open for discussion from a few minutes after midnight through a few minute before (maybe the same day, maybe the next). The intro remains the same, but the body is always changing.
Populist movements don't build themselves, they grow from a process of people learning how to support a series of populist campaigns in a populist way, rather than as passive consumers of corporate political marketing campaigns.
It doesn't matter what the "horse race" outcome of the campaign is, if we fight the campaign. Fighting it, we learn how to fight. Learning how to fight political battles, we become citizens again. Becoming citizens again, we reclaim the Republic that lies dormant beneath the bread and circuses of modern American society.
Picture Credit: David Leeson (#8)
House Rules: This is Not Your Everydaily Kos
- Be excellent to each other
- You are allowed ... encouraged ... to say something hours ... days, even ... after the Oil is lit
- Open Thread rules apply to the comments ... follow the topic of the comment you are answering, a main comment can be on anything of interest to the patrons of the Midnight Oil Bar
- You must wait 16 hours before posting music video clips in the comments ... meanwhile, a host or guest host can splash them all over the place up in the main body ... because life is not fair
- Say something, come back eight, twelve hours later to see if there was an answer
- Feel free to use the Rec button to let people know you passed by ... but be careful not to overdo it, we don't want this thing up on the wrecklist!
- Don't worry about "jumping the tip jar" ... We don't need no steenking tip jar!
Daily Diary Roll
John Edwards is offensive by mbair
mbair writes up the piece from FAIR that LaEscapee brought to our attention
- Is America Ready for Revolution? by NBBooks (European Tribune)
- Is it a Revolution? by LaEscapee (h/t LaEscapee)
Climate Change is a threat to Humans NOT the planet by zackmann
CNN Analyst Wrong on Climate Science, Wrong on "Where the Country Is" by Target Global Warming
(a h/t two-fer for Global Warming tagpage)
Hillary, ride Electric Rail to a Comeback Station by BruceMcF (h/t LaEscapee)
Guess what happened when I did a dKos diary? They jumped my tip jar!
Gilda Reed Fundraiser tagpage
Heaps of progressive populist goodness in nearly every byte
HOW WE LIVE NOW. Ezra Klein (Tapped)
'The days of cheap and easy oil are not here anymore' by the stormy present (European Tribune)
EENR Edwards Democrats ActBlue (ActBlue, h/t LaEscapee)
We Need Read / Gilda Reed Call to Action (h/t blueintheface)
I thought that this Friday would be an Open Thread ... drop a link to places other than dKos that you like to hang out online.
Oh, and since I expect to get a topical Midnight Oil up tomorrow, the 16 hour rule on video clips is reduced to 8 hours. So you get to do a music party all through the day tomorrow .... aint you lucky duckies.
|Neil Young - All Along The Watchtower
"There must be some way out of here,"
said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Businessmen, they drink my wine,
plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line
know what any of it is worth."
"No reason to get excited,"
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
|UB40 - Many Rivers To Cross
Many rivers to cross
But I can't seem to find my way over
Wandering I am lost as I travel along
The white cliffs of Dover
Many rivers to cross and it`s only my will
That keeps me alive
I've been licked, washed up for years and,
I merely survive because of my pride.
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
I've got many rivers to cross
|Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry - 7 Seconds
Boul ma sene,
boul ma guiss madi re nga fokni mane
Khamouma li neka thi sama souf ak thi guinaw
Beugouma kouma khol oaldine yaw li neka si yaw
Mo ne si man, li ne si mane moye dilene diapale
Roughneck and rudeness, We should be using,
And when a child is born into this world
Jassume les raisons qui nous poussent
And when a child is born into this world
So you better sober up for just a second
|Midnight Oil - Short Memory (1983)
Conquistador of Mexico, the Zulu and the Navaho
The Belgians in the Congo, short memory
Plantation in Virginia, the Raj in British India
The deadline in South Africa, short memory
The story of El Salvador, the silence of Hiroshima
Destruction of Cambodia, short memory
Short memory, must have a, short memory
The sight of hotels by the Nile,
If you read the history books you'll see