We should all be extremely embarrassed that in our great technological and intelligent nation we have people waiting in line for over 8 hours to vote in Atlanta, Georgia.
What is more fundamental than the right to vote? It is the most noticeable difference between being a citizen and just a visiting worker. The state governments that put any kind of impediment like this to voting should be continually shamed on the news media channels until something is done to fix this.
Georgia state officials -- THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! The house of democracy is burning and the firefighters are playing cards at the firehouse.
Any effort to discourage voters like this needs to be exposed as the cowardly, undemocratic act that it is. "Country First" my a** -- this is one of the most selfish, undemocratic acts I can think of.
Georgia state officials -- you already know what to do:
- Get more voting machines to the polling places in the larger metropolitan areas.
- Extend early voting to include Saturday, Sunday and Monday and extend the voting hours if necessary.
- Treat this like the emergency that it is.
- Take a clue from Crist in Florida and actually put your "Country First" by not putting impediments in front of people wanting to vote.
- Call out these Georgia officials. Get them on the air and embarrass them into explaining why this situation exists and what are they going to do to fix it.
- Don't let up until a solution is provided.
- This is an election Katrina, except that instead of black and brown faces outside of the Superdome, they are lined up outside of a strip mall. Both situations are appalling, the first for our government's lack of concern for individuals' physical well being and the second for its lack of concern for individuals rights and the sanctity of our democracy.