I know that these remarkable and hard fought efforts may still not be enough for some , but I am hoping that proponents of Marriage Equality, as it relates to the GLBT community will take some comfort in knowing that we here in the state of Wisconsin , are still mindful of the struggle and appreciate that we're making progress in obtaining full and equal rights for our friends in the GLBT community.
It may come as a shock and awe to some that I , a Black Evangelical Progressive am a member and donor of the group Fair Wisconsin , a group that advocates on behalf of the LGBT Community , particularly on the issue of Marriage Equality , but I am and I received an e-mail update that I would like to share.
Gov Doyle Announces Domestic Partner Protections
We are thrilled to share some exciting news with you. Tonight Gov. Jim Doyle announced that his biennial budget proposal includes critical domestic partnership protections for the state's same-sex couples. Domestic partnerships provide to Wisconsin's 15,000 same-sex couples certain legal protections such as:
* Requiring hospitals and nursing homes to allow visitation for domestic partners
* The ability to make end of life decisions for a domestic partner if he or she is unable to
* Permitting family leave in the event of the death or serious illness of a domestic partner
Though substantially short of full equality, this is an important step toward ensuring that someone in a committed, caring relationship can care for his or her partner. No one should ever have to worry about being blocked at their partner's hospital room door, or have to make the heartbreaking decision to quit their job in order to care for a seriously ill partner.
We look forward to working with legislators to make sure that this fair-minded budget is passed quickly. Here's what you can do to help:
1. Thank Governor Doyle for his support by sending him an email to email@example.com. Governor Doyle remains firmly pro-fairness with his domestic partnership initiative, which would make Wisconsin the first state in the Heartland to recognize same-sex couples.
2. Get involved by telling your story about why domestic partnership protections are important to you and your family. Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and make sure to include your name(s) and zip code. Sharing personal stories will allow us to connect with members of the LGBT community and allies around the state to make the case for why domestic partnership protections are critical to our families.
Learn more about Wisconsin domestic partnerships at http://www.fairwisconsin.com.
I am proud to be a part of this effort and will continue to work with both sides of this debate to achieve full equality for all Americans. I have stated , on numerous occasions and have argued the point to opponents of Marriage equality that while I am a person of Faith , I know the difference between the United States of America and the Kingdom of God. I know the difference between the United States Constitution and the Holy Scriptures. I know the difference between the President of the United States and Jesus Christ and while some may not be able to distinguish between the two, I do not have that problem. I know how to be a good citizen of a secular nation and be a good Christian without conflict or conviction.