For those who don't know me, I'm a political blogger and podcaster who covers Massachusetts politics. I thought I'd pop on DKos to ask help in recruiting a fantastic candidate to oust the Health-Care-Reform Backstabber, Congressman Stephen Lynch. Congressman Steve Lynch has done many things in his past to make him very unlikeable, but his vote against health care reform -- perhaps the signature issue of the entire Democratic Party -- was certainly the last straw. One simply can't be against health care reform and be a Democrat, as far as this blogger's concerned.
It's a good thing there's a progressive candidate ready to challenge him as we speak - and her name is Harmony Wu. There are a number of reasons to support Wu, and a number of reasons why Lynch needs to get gone, so let's look at the pros and pros of both propositions.
Wu's good, because
- She's proven to be an effective organizer and would be a fantastic campaigner;
- She's been an active member of her community and would be out there fighting for her constituents' best interests;
- As a college professor with her PhD, she has a great background for a Congresswoman and wouldn't be the typical politician;
- Finally, her students love her -- even if they think she's a tough cookie.
- He has a history of being against the values of the Democratic Party, be it on the Iraq war, health care or choice, and he's a very recent convert on basic matters of glbt civil rights, whilst having a history of voting against domestic partnership benefits and hate crime protections before he was in DC;
- He's thrown a shiv in our back for what should be the last time;
- He's completely beatable in a Democratic Primary;
- Whoever beats him in that primary will hold that seat.
- If we don't hold our politicians accountable, what incentive will they ever have to listen to their rank-and-file constituents, instead of powerful interests (like, in this case, Cardinal O'Malley)?