Also at my blog Squarestate.net
Arizona's SB 1070 is some of the worst, most racist and counter-productive legislation in recent memory and people are speaking out against it and getting arrested for it. I want to show you some footage of that arrest, what an Arizona business and immigration attorney has to say about how this subsidizes racist lawsuits, and the list of only a few of the egregious points from the bill.
I would also like to note the acronym GIITEM for Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission.
From the fact sheet:
- Requires a reasonable attempt to be made to determine the immigration status of a person during any legitimate contact made by an official or agency of the state or a county, city, town or political subdivision (political subdivision) if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S...
5.Allows a law enforcement officer, without a warrant, to arrest a person if the officer has probable cause to believe that the person has committed any public offense that makes the person removable from the U.S...
7.Disallows officials or agencies of the state or political subdivisions from adopting or implementing policies that limit immigration enforcement to less than the full extent permitted by federal law, and allows a person to bring an action in superior court to challenge an official or agency that does so...
- Requires the court, if there is a judicial finding that an entity has committed a violation, to order any of the following:
a)that the plaintiff recover court costs and attorney fees;
b)that the defendant pay a civil penalty of not less than $1,000 and not more than $5,000 for each day that the policy has remained in effect after the filing of the action.
- Requires the court to collect and remit the civil penalty to the Department of Public Safety (DPS), which must establish a special subaccount for the monies in the account established for the Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission GIITEM appropriation.
14.Directs the person to pay jail costs and an additional assessment of at least $500 for the first violation or at least $1,000 for subsequent offenses...
18.Specifies that it is unlawful, if a motor vehicle is stopped on a street, roadway or highway and blocks or impedes the normal movement of traffic:
a)for a motor vehicle occupant to attempt to hire or hire and pick up passengers for work at a different location;
b)for a person to enter the motor vehicle in order to be hired by a motor vehicle occupant and to be transported to work at a different location...
- States that it is not entrapment for law enforcement officers or their agents merely to use a ruse or to conceal their identities
- Directs employers to keep verification records of their employees’ work eligibility through E-Verify.
31.Establishes a class 3 felony for failing to:
a)verify employment eligibility through E-Verify or
b)keep records of verifications...
In this video, David Seldon who is an AZ business and immigration attorney speaks about how some of the language from the bill originates in rejected amendments to the 1964 Civil Rights Act which were intended to gut the bill.
The government can act as long as it's not 100% racist in the way the government takes actions.
And here is the student civil disobedience where they are arrested.
And if you're in Denver, get involved:
Please Join SEIU Local 105 on Saturday, May 1, 2010 at Sunken Gardens Park on 11th Ave & Speer Blvd. in support of immigration reform. The event will be a rally for immigration reform and will take place from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. During the rally participants will call on Sen. Mark Udall and Sen. Michael Bennet to support and vote in favor of immigration reform before the 2010 midterm elections!