Please DO NOT Rec this diary, rather REC THE MOTHERSHIP instead. She needs your love to stay afloat.
Please be kind to kossacks with bandwidth issues. Please do not post images or videos. Again, many thanks for this.
PLEASE visit Pam LaPier's diary to find out how you can help the Gulf now and in the future. We don't have to be idle! And thanks to Crashing Vor and Pam LaPier for working on this!
For a description of the mothership/ROV liveblogging process, check out this thread
I received a set of links to the massive video library collected by Josef Gerbils of The Oil Drum.
Deepwater Horizon BlowOut & Oil Spill:
Deepwater Horizon BlowOut II
Deepwater Horizon BlowOut III
Deepwater Horizon BlowOut IV
Deepwater Horizon BlowOut V
Those include many videos from our crew and others.
Lax Oversight Seen in Failure of Oil Rig's Last Line of Defense. Watch video and interactive graphic page, too. That has one of the best overviews of how the BOP works, and doesn't work, and the management interference that caused the accident.
We have a new 40 page 12mb report on the Macondo well that is an excellent reference on the well design.
Deepwater Horizon BP Oil Spill Reference Material - from Whitis is the best source for everything.. The quantitative data diary has also been moved there.
The motherlode of technical data Kairos brought us was removed, but the 19 mb 48 page BP Accident Investigation Overview, and the 12 mb 147 page Confidential TransOcean Assurance Analysis of the BOP with detailed control diagrams starting at page 56, are still available.
Go to the Deepwater Horizon Data Summary for a wealth of actual data from the Department of Energy.
This is what BP DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE. The following images are guaranteed to make you .
These images are not for the faint of heart - DO NOT VIEW THEM LIGHTLY.
Really, I mean it. Hold somebody's hand. Grab a tissue.
A brief reference guide to nicknames you may see in the ROV diaries:
- Gertrude, aka Gerty: the oil volcano
- Lizzy: the diamond saw cutter
- Clampy: the cute ROV
- Crunchy: 30 ft shear. bit the pipe, now a movie star
- Wanda: the dispersant sprayer
- laundry basket: yellow thing that brings things up and down
- Thingy: those things, you know, those things
- Shiny Thing: those really neat things
- Ms. Blanche Flo, aka Blanche, aka Flo: the manifold thingy
Here is a tutorial on the sources of well pressure.
H/T to Pluto for finding this much better well casing configuration diagram (PDF).
Here is the initial BP Spill Investigation (PDF) report from 24 May.
The initial approach above was followed by an open hole and a drill pipe magnetic ranging run. After they got to within 5 feet of the blown out well's lower casing they reamed and encased the bottom of the well in cement. They are prepared to start the final 50 feet of drilling to intercept the annulus which is just past the rock. They may still proceed with reaming through the blown well's casing if only to ensure there is cement at that level. (Photos from The Oil Drum)
A video primer on ROV Watching, from GW Regular sometv.
Video feeds we are watching
Tomtech created a set of playlists for VLC player to partially solve the problem where titles do not identify the ROV.
==== ROV Feeds =====
20876/21507 - Development Driller II's ROV 1
32900/49178 - Development Driller II's ROV 2
41434/41436 - Olympic Challenger's ROV 1
40788/40789 - Olympic Challenger's ROV 2
30948/35246 - HOS Achiever's ROV 1
35461/36301 - HOS Achiever's ROV 2
47146/47147 - Development Driller III's ROV 1
43698/43699 - Development Driller III's ROV 2
39168/39169 - Chouest Holiday ROV 1
40492/40493 - Chouest Holiday ROV 2
58406/21750 - HOS Iron Horse ROV 1
58406/21750 - HOS Iron Horse ROV 2 points to IH #1.
==Restricted to web browser based viewing==
==Multiple stream feeds (hard on browser/bandwidth)==
These High-def videos of the spew after the riser was cut were provided by the DOE.
See this thread for more info on using video feeds and on linking to video feeds.
Again, to keep bandwidth down please do not post images or videos.
Links, courtesy of several Kossacks
- X Prize Competition for oil spill fix announced
- Requiring a Relief Well: Let's Write a Bill! A diary series by Garret
- ERMA: Environmental Response Management Application
- Google Crisis Response page for Gulf Oil Spill
- Wikipedia: Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- BP has a good diagram of the cutting process that partially succeeded
- VIDEO - CBS 60 Minutes Report on the Deepwater Horizon Blowout
- CLEANUP INFORMATION
- BP Hides Use of Mostly Black Prison Labor for Oil Gusher Cleanup. By Kossak Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse
- Sketch Map of Subsea Operations - from Another Kevin
- GeoPlatform - Gulf Response: Mapping the Response to BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico
- Kent Wells' technical update, June 10, 2010
- dov12348's oil toxicity links
- dov12348's Ocean currents, wind currents, and hurricane links
- Visualize the spill
- Images of the Oilpacalypse, from Tomtech.
- Visit the Oil Spill Crisis Map to see where oil, mousse, tar balls, and eau de crude have been reported on the Gulf coast.
- The BP Deepwater Horizon Unified Command official website. Wherein you can read latest post warning of employment scams associated with the event and much more from the folks handling this.
- Timeline of response here.
- Department of Energy BP Deepwater Horizon Spill site updates.
- Department of Interior BP Deepwater Horizon Response site provides updates, reports, data, links to pictures, etc.
- Rigzone for specific disaster news and news about the offshore industry, in general.
- Maritime ship tracking -- courtesy of johnsonwax
- NOAA Spill tracking site
- HEALTH AND SAFETY
- 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Crisis Wiki
- NIH National Library of Medicine Crude oil spills and Health
- The CDC Emergency Preparedness and Response: 2010 Gulf of Mexico page includes fact sheets and health and safety information for Gulf Coast Residents, Response Workers, and Health Professionals
- Reducing Occupational Exposures while Working with Dispersants During the Gulf Oil Spill Response
- The EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico page includes Air Monitoring Data Reports, Daily Average Particulate Matter, Air Sampling Data Files, Real-time Air Monitoring (including TAGA data), and Downloadable data set of hourly air monitoring
- Hester's Special Guest Mothership on Human Health Issues and the BP Disaster
- LEGISLATION/FEDERAL RESPONSE
- Administration response to spill.
- Kossak Square Knot's diary on the limits of governmental authority
- PERTINENT BLOGS and collections of Oil Spill-specific JOURNALISM
- The Daily Hurricane: Blog run by Bob Cavnar
- Nola.com Oil Spill News
- Sun Herald (Biloxi, MS) Oil Spill News
- Mobile (AL) Press-Register Oil Spill News
- World newspapers oil section
- The Oil Drum
- Oil & Gas Journal
- Offshore Magazine
- Petroleum News
- Your Oil and Gas News
- World Oil
- Bit Tooth Energy blog (technical discussions) by the famed Heading Out, well known key poster on The Oil Drum blog site.
- Help Cornell Lab of Ornithology collect bird information on the Gulf
- Center for Biological Diversity list of Gulf species threatened by the spill
- International Bird Rescue Research Center: Info on bird survival rates
- Summarized tally of affected wildlife
- US Fish & Wildlife Service Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Response (h/t to CindyMax) The left side of page has "Daily Wildlife Collection Reports" that details wildlife found oiled, alive, deceased, and/or released.
- BP doesn't want photos of dead animals
- Washington Post: People Come Together to Save Coast's Oil-Covered Wildlife (h/t Humphrey)
Previous liveblog ROV diaries:
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #389 - Night of the Living Drips - Lorinda Pike
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #388 - Sittin' Up With the Dead - khowell
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #387 - Time for a Wake? - khowell
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #386 - The Coroner Won't Pronounce - BP's Gulf Catastrophe - Yasuragi
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #385 - Is it Dead? - BP's Gulf Catastrophe - Lorinda Pike
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #384 - Darryl House
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #383 - Issues - BP's Gulf Catastrophe - Yasuragi
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #382 - Intersection! - BP's Gulf Catastrophe - Lorinda Pike
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV 381 -- O'Donnell Edition of BP's Gulf Catastrophe - gchaucer2
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #380 - Ranging Run - Lorinda Pike
Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #379 - Darryl House
Previous motherships and ROV's from this extensive live blog effort may be found here.
Information on our community can be found in Phil S 33's diary here. That diary having timed out, bigjacbigjacbigjac next took up the cause and posted a new bio diary here. The latest bio diary was posted by Ursoklevar on 7-25 and includes the bios from the previous diaries in alphabetical order by user name.
If you'd like, feel free to join in by sharing a little about yourself there.
in the dark time we held vigil,
we held vigil against the night,
we raged against the storm,
we moved with the force of nature
to right a great wrong,
to howl like the wind,
to hold the line,
to renew an ancient vow,
a sacred purpose,
to recall to life the human spirit,
to safeguard that which is most holy to us,
to forge and reforge,
this, above all, to be true,
to awaken our greater nature,
to commune from the deepest regions of our soul,
to heal this realm, to heal our people,
to guard all life, to guard life,
for this generation,
and all to come,
this is why we hold vigil ~ ~ ArthurPoet ~
We Are Here We are here. We are watching. Years from now, if anyone asks, we will tell them: We were there. Maybe it will not matter. Maybe nothing matters. But if we throw up our hands now, maybe someday, years from now, we will ask ourselves, why did we not at least keep watch, why did we not? Maybe someday, some of us will talk with someone younger, and tell of the time we watched. Maybe that someone younger will try harder next time, will do more next time, remembering the time we watched. -- bigjacbigjacbigjac
We're all stunned and horrified by this disaster. Huddling with good people to calculate the damage and monitor progress, have a laugh when we can, share the sorrow we feel, and learn a lot in the process... That's what I'm really here for.
This is how I best cope. And if it turns out to be a useful thing to others, then that's great.
This is where you want to be for discussion, worrying, tearing up, and caring for each other. It's also where you're welcome to be angry and scream and curse and cry and rant at the criminal negligence and greed that have brought us all together. Most importantly, though, it's where we can learn from those kossaks among us (I'll not name names for abject fear of leaving one of you out, but you know who you are.) who bring the light of knowledge - sometimes with heat, sometimes without it - and teach us about what's happening beneath our Gulf of Mexico. On a personal note, I'll ask you to please be kind to each other in our little boats. There's enough hurt going on outside without bringing it here. - khowell
Bandwidth Warning: NO IMAGES and NO VIDEOS. Readers who are on DIALUP will thank you!