I ask this question because I do not know. The contrast between Obama's soaring rhetoric when he gets "Fired Up" and the reality of his executive appointments and their words and actions makes me ask, in the bluntest of terms, between the Super-Duper-Uber rich and everyone else, whose side is President Obama on?
Dear President Obama, you can't cut the baby in half. 98% of America is HURTING. The worst problem facing the richest 2% of America is that their taxes might go up 3%. The rest of the 98% of voters in America are HURTING, and they need your help, Mr. President, and I'm sorry to say it but we MUST make the perfect the enemy of the good if the good isn't good enough.
We can't keep giving into the richest people in America without HURTING the rest of America. We can't craft vital reforms against FRAUDULENT industries by working with the fraudsters. We can't prop up Karzai for another 4 years. We can't keep cutting the baby in half without getting mixed results.
We need someone to really fight for working class people who are being told to sacrifice EVERYTHING when the richest 2% of Americans ($250,000 - Warren Buffett) are not willing to take a 3% hike in taxes on their millions of dollars.
More below the fold
Crossposted at The Progressive Electorate.com
We need help. This is class war. Is Obama on our side or not? He can't cut the baby in half, not while we are losing our homes with no job security. 98% can't give anymore, we're tapped out. The rich have to take this one on the chin for the team, team America (fuck yeah!). Are the rich patriotic or not? Is Obama on our side, or theirs?
We can't have wars AND cut taxes at the same time. The only President who ever tried this was George W. Bush. Guess how that worked out (Hint: You are standing in it.) If we are going to have our longest war ever, which we are doing RIGHT NOW, we can NOT cut taxes. If we are going to cut spending to decrease the deficit CAUSED BY wars and tax cuts that went mostly to the rich I would say either stop the wars or the tax cuts that CAUSED the deficit. Anything other than this is trying to appease both sides and cut the baby in half. But that isn't keeping people in homes that they're being fraudulently foreclosed on, that isn't stopping the richest 1% of Americans from pushing another 10 million Americans into poverty for their own gain. Helping BP clean up their mess isn't fixing the fact that BP might do it again. Working with the health insurance industry to reform the health insurance industry doesn't mean you get a fixed industry, it means you get a reform that is totally FIXED. We can't keep cutting the baby in half, not when half isn't good enough, not when staying at war another 4 years is always an option, or when your opponent whom you are negotiating with CAUSED the problem. You can't cut the baby in half without pissing off both sides, and one side will NEVER EVER VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS. We call them Republicans.
The prefect MUST be the enemy of the good when the good isn't good enough, or when the good actually sucks but we are told "It is this or nothing". If the reason to vote for Democrats is "It is this or nothing" then the perfect is not only the enemy of the good, but what is being called the good is insane.
So, my question to those readers who might still be with me here is, whose side is President Obama on in the class war, the richest 2% and their special interests or the other 98% of us? The last President, who is ranked 5th worst ever, used to call the richest of the rich of America "His base". Whose base is Obama really working to keep, the wealthy status quo represented by the people and institutions around him, or the rest of us. I hope it is us, because splitting the baby in half isn't change or a cause for hope.