Looking at the front page of Daily Kos last week, it's easy to forget that there's a battle going on about PATRIOT Act extension. But yes indeed, Monday at 6:30 Eastern, the House is once again voting on HR514, which extends the PATRIOT Act until December of this year without introducing any new safeguards. There are three bills in the Senate, and Congress needs to do something by the end of February or several controversial clauses will sunset. So it should be a busy week.
Here's what you can do:
- use POPVOX to ask your representative know to oppose HR514 and reintroduce the JUSTICE Act
- contact your legislators via email via Demand Progress, ACLU, EFF, or Downsize DC
- or call your representative at (202) 224-3121
Then help get the word out!
- email this info to people
- share it on Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter
- leave a comment on any blog posts, articles, Facebook groups, and message board threads discussing the PATRIOT Act and make sure to include the link to the POPVOX page: http://bit.ly/...
- and if you're on Twitter, tweet early and often using #patriotact hashtag -- sample tweets here
Get FISA Right will be having a chat during the vote on Monday -- watch our blog at http://getfisaright.wordpress.com/ for updates.
Have a great weekend ... and make some noise!
PS: For those who are interested, Get FISA RIght is blogging regularly about the issue. Remember Get FISA Right? Kos, Joan, and Chris Bowers helped catapult it to prominence back in 2008. We're still around.