Earlier today, Kos announced Operation Hilarity, an attempt to extend the Republican nomination campaign in order to improve Democratic chances in November. The basic idea is to encourage Democrats, liberals and progressives to vote for Rick Santorum in Republican primaries and caucuses where Democrats, liberals and progressives are allowed to vote.
Here is some detail on the plan to make it work:
- We will be running Facebook ads in the four states with upcoming, open nomination contests: Michigan, North Dakota, Tennessee and Vermont.
- Facebook allows you to target ads in a variety of ways, including only to Facebook users who have self-identified as liberals in their profiles. Our ads will only reach those self-identified liberals.
- When people click on the ads, they will be redirected to a signup page for their state, explaining that we would like them to pledge to vote for Santorum to extend the Republican presidential race.
- After people sign up, we will send emails reminding them to vote as the primary or caucus in their state draws near. It will be straightforward, get out the vote stuff for Democrats and liberals.
- We will run several different ads at once, testing which headlines, languages and images do a better job of driving signups. That way, we can maximize the number of signups we receive for the amount of money we spend.
We should be able to sign up one progressive vote for Santorum for every $2.50 we spend. The more money we have, the more people we can sign up. The more people we sign up, the more we will be able to help extend the Republican nomination race. The more the Republican nomination race is extended, the better Democratic electoral prospects in November become.
So please, contribute $5 to Daily Kos to run these ads. Help turn out the Democratic vote in a way that helps Democratic chances in November.