Without fanfare, the nation's nuclear power regulators have overhauled community emergency planning for the first time in more than three decades, requiring fewer exercises for major accidents and recommending that fewer people be evacuated right away. The revamp, the first since the program began after Three Mile Island in 1979, also eliminates a requirement that local responders always practice for a release of radiation.Read more at AP.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
gmoke, Jim P, Russgirl, jeanette0605, Deep Harm, mahakali overdrive, enhydra lutris, DRo, Joieau, PreciousLittle
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by concerned
- The Fort Calhoun Nuclear Plant in Nebraska looked like this on Friday:251 comments 268 Recs
- Years ago, when I was a kid growing up in Appalachia, a new girl moved into the community. We'll call her "Annie." I went to school with her during the 7th and 8th grade. She was very pretty, with ...472 comments 804 Recs
- They are lying. They have been lying from day one through today, but in this case their lies are putting at risk the health of millions including yours and mine. The Japanese ...64 comments 53 Recs
- Radioactive steam is rising from reactor #1 at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, according to recent reports from Tokoyo. http://www.usatoday.com/money/topstories/2011-06-03-733815698_x....81 comments 101 Recs
- From Andrea Mitchell on this anemic economy:183 comments 84 Recs
- New readings show levels of radioisotopes found up to 30 kilometers offshore from the on-going crisis at Fukushima are ten times higher than those measured in the Baltic and Black Seas during ...73 comments 41 Recs
- This is another clearinghouse diary for the posting of additional news (with links to their source) and intelligent commentary about the ongoing nuclear disaster(s) in Japan.134 comments 52 Recs
- Rooftop solar near Tokyo (Photo: ...89 comments 67 Recs
- ENEnews reports as of Wednesday, May 25 a level of 204 Sieverts [20,040 Rem] per hour in the ...372 comments 60 Recs
- Robert Alvarez has just published his latest analysis of the Spent Fuel Ponds from nuclear reactors in the United States and Japan and concluded that the risk of an accidental release of a ...129 comments 104 Recs