Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., gave a strong defense [Wednesday] of a portion of the Affordable Care Act that allows children up to 26 years old to remain on their parents’ health insurance plans, breaking a bit from the GOP’s hard-line opposition to Obamacare. [...]Even Blunt understands that this is really smart, effective policy, and that people really, really like it. People other than Republican debate audiences, that is. And there is the kernel in the nut of the Republicans' problem. Blunt has been there with all the other Republicans calling for a full repeal of Obamacare because the extreme Republican base demands it. Smart, popular policy? Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is appeasing the base.
“It’s one of the things that I think should continue to be the case,” Blunt said of the “dependent coverage” provision, explaining that “it’s a way to get a significant number of the uninsured into an insurance group without much cost,” because young people are generally healthy.
Blunt noted that he even introduced a bill when he was in the House that would do exactly what the provision of the Affordable Care Act does now, saying, “I was for it then, and I’d be for it now.” “You’re breaking some news,” host McGraw Milhaven quipped.
Sen. Roy Blunt, a very confused man. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Angie in WA State, murphy, artr2, eeff, Creosote, retLT, lyvwyr101, sunbro, coolbreeze, gpoutney, Clive all hat no horse Rodeo, Cronesense, LillithMc, journeyman, Gemina13, luckylizard, Larsstephens, annieli, slowbutsure, jardin32, BarackStarObama, kareylou, IndieGuy, a2nite, ljcrazyhistorian
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- This last Saturday, May 30th a special group of people got together once again to eat, drink and share. As usual it was relaxing, fun and informative. Here are a couple of pictures of one end of ...19 comments 25 Recs
- Rep. John Delaney (D-Doofus) Holy crap this guy is a doofus.142 comments 86 Recs
- Explosions in late 2014 variously described as an ISIL truck bomb or a U.S. airstrike in the town of Kobane on the Turkish-Syrian border. ...98 comments 66 Recs
- Sorry, nothing aviation related. The statistics will tell you that flying is quite safe even if your "gut" says otherwise. It was much more mundane than that. Someone almost ran me over.278 comments 422 Recs
- Is this the end of our domestic spying pal, Snuggly the Security Bear? Most likely not. Snuggly will probably still be in business and up to his usual tricks, he just may have to work with a ...10 comments 17 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...337 comments 338 Recs
- You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...226 comments 230 Recs
- Last week, I noted that the number of ACA exchange-based QHP selections has officially passed the 12 million mark nationally. I also mentioned that: Of course, when you throw in the missing tax ...10 comments 21 Recs
- Early results in the marriage equality referendum indicate a very strong showing for the yes vote. It's looking like a celebratory mood is emerging already within the Irish gay community, although ...187 comments 179 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.