Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., gave a strong defense [Wednesday] of a portion of the Affordable Care Act that allows children up to 26 years old to remain on their parents’ health insurance plans, breaking a bit from the GOP’s hard-line opposition to Obamacare. [...]Even Blunt understands that this is really smart, effective policy, and that people really, really like it. People other than Republican debate audiences, that is. And there is the kernel in the nut of the Republicans' problem. Blunt has been there with all the other Republicans calling for a full repeal of Obamacare because the extreme Republican base demands it. Smart, popular policy? Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is appeasing the base.
“It’s one of the things that I think should continue to be the case,” Blunt said of the “dependent coverage” provision, explaining that “it’s a way to get a significant number of the uninsured into an insurance group without much cost,” because young people are generally healthy.
Blunt noted that he even introduced a bill when he was in the House that would do exactly what the provision of the Affordable Care Act does now, saying, “I was for it then, and I’d be for it now.” “You’re breaking some news,” host McGraw Milhaven quipped.
Sen. Roy Blunt, a very confused man. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Angie in WA State, murphy, artr2, eeff, Creosote, retLT, lyvwyr101, sunbro, coolbreeze, gpoutney, Clive all hat no horse Rodeo, Cronesense, LillithMc, journeyman, Gemina13, luckylizard, Larsstephens, annieli, slowbutsure, jardin32, BarackStarObama, kareylou, IndieGuy, a2nite, ljcrazyhistorian
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- Obamacare is such a failure, it can't even kill the jobs Republicans said it would!51 comments 88 Recs
- In Paraguay, a 10 year old girl was being raped by her step-father. Her mother reported the abuse to authorities but was ignored. The child's stomach began to swell and the mother, thinking ...24 comments 44 Recs
- Wow, Mitt Romney. Just wow. At a time when even many Republicans are pretending to care about ...70 comments 58 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 133 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...135 comments 58 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 60 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:35 comments 51 Recs
- In a move which stunned many Court observers—certainly including me—the ...58 comments 62 Recs
- Johno Espejo (left) and Matthew Mansell, a plaintiff couple in the marriage equality case, being interviewed outside the Supreme Court.52 comments 73 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.