Just caught this in my early morning browsing. Paul Krugman and Richard Layard have prepared a Manifesto of Economic Sense and have circulated it to a bunch of economists already. Click on the link to read it -- it pretty much summarizes everything Krugman has been writing about these last four years: austerity is no way out of the economic crisis. But they're asking economists to sign on and so far several dozen have done so. Richard Layard is a heavyweight economist in England, based at the London School of Economics, where he founded the Center on Economic Performance, and currently writes on happiness(!). Oh, and he's also a member of the House of Lords. This is a big deal in economic academic circles. Not that 5 million signatures will help change the mind of the Wall Street Journal editorial page, but it sort of crystallizes what's gone wrong with the world economies in one concise spot. And it asks economists to sign on.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by deanarms
- Yeah, that's right, I'm rec-begging this time...because there's a graph at the end which took a *ton* of time to put together, and I'd hate to see it go down the memory hole. First, a quiet, normal ...53 comments 588 Recs
- 172 comments 164 Recs
- Chris Rock : There’s always going to be people that don’t know that the war’s over. I’m more optimistic than you, but maybe it’s because I live the way I do. I just have a great life, ...83 comments 47 Recs
- On Monday, Ron Fournier, the Senior Political Columnist and Editorial Director over at the National Journal , once again broke out his old word generator and cranked out his latest pious mewlings ...40 comments 71 Recs
- Ruth Wilson as Alison and Dominic West as Noah in Showtime's The Affair Monogamy and emotional commitment are two qualities that have perplexed many people over the ages. The societal ideal of a ...28 comments 14 Recs
- The Schlitz Beer saga , the story of how America's once favorite beer altered its hallmark recipe disastrously while seeking short term profits at the expense of quality and reputation, has always ...371 comments 447 Recs
- The Agenda Project Action Fund has come up with the most brutal, direct political ad I think I've ever seen. It ties the Republican budget-cut mantra directly to the disastrous slashing of CDC and ...391 comments 469 Recs
- You might have noticed it at the very end of the press ...96 comments 122 Recs
- Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It should be too early on a Monday to have ones hackles so aroused, but leave it to the often arrogant Howard Fineman to get the job done. In an essay in the ...214 comments 304 Recs
- Education Secretary Arne Duncan The California court decision striking down several laws giving teachers due process has produced another unfortunate reminder that President Obama's Education ...158 comments 64 Recs
- No current results.