GUS (Gave Up Smoking) is a self-sustaining community support diary for Kossacks in the midst of quitting smoking. Any supportive comments, suggestions or positive distractions are appreciated. If you are quitting or thinking of quitting, or have quit, please -- join us! You can also click the GUS tag to view all diary posts.The GUS library is resource for those looking for information on quitting smoking.
The Gus Library The GUS library is really looking impressive these days. Check it out and thank all who have done the very nice work.
NEW VOLUNTEER DIARISTS ARE ABSOLUTELY WELCOME! PLEASE SIGN UP IN THE BUTT CAN.
A message to all quitters: You don't have to avoid GUS if your latest attempt to quit didn't work out. We won't give you a bad time and we consider the attempted quits as practice for the real quit.
First the music, I went with three selections from Angelique Kidjo for no real reason other than I like her stuff.
Since there has been a few recent quitters and hopefully a few waiting in the wings getting ready to quit. This list was gathered over a few GUS diaries back in the early days. This list of suggestions is in the spirit of GUS, it is yours to do what you wish with it. Since quitting is a personal thing and everybody is different, they are not hard and fast rules and there is no wrong way to quit. I am adding a suggestion not included in the list, a pre-list suggestion, for anybody getting ready to quit.
Go read Dallasdoc's diary.After that here is the list of quitting suggestions as it stands now and is ready for any new ones to be added.
start here with Dallasdoc diary
Quitters of all kinds are welcome to submit additional ones in the comments section.
Here we go.
1. SET A DATE A few people can just quit on a whim, most cannot. You can practice quitting before your quit date. I think since I "practiced" quitting so many times before, I became good at it. I just wasn't good at staying quit. For some unknown reason, this GUS thing seems to have helped that issue. That and $7.00/pack and lack of stamina. Yep.
2. GET RID OF YOUR STASH Smoke 'em all up or give them away the night before you quit. Empty and wash all the ashtrays in your house and car. Don't tempt yourself unnecessarily.
3. START TO QUIT ON A NEW DAY Quitting mid-day never worked at all for me. Others may disagree. I always found that smoking up all of my cigarettes the night before and starting the quit day with an empty pack worked best.
4. FOCUS ON QUITTING Your task is difficult enough without adding any more burdens to your psych. Do not add weight watching, foot odor eliminating or any other personal improvement program at this time. You can do all of those later. Get this big one done and the others can be faced later. This one is tough enough to warrant your complete personal improvement attention.
5. BE VERY KIND TO YOURSELF You get to do most anything you want to for those first 2-3 weeks of quitting. Forget the diet, have ice cream if you wish with lots of chocolate. Four or maybe five days of quitting could buy you a great steak/lobster dinner. Use rewards to mark milestones in your quit. One week, two weeks, five days, ten days etc. Anything you want you can have because you are not spending money on tobacco. spend it on yourself.
6. USE ALTERNATIVES TO CIGARETTES Carrot sticks, celery sticks, chewing gum, licorice sticks, cucumber slices, bite size candy bars, M&M's, chocolate of any kind, bananas, peaches, jello, beef jerky, roasted almonds, sunflower seeds, salted peanuts, hard candy, apples, oranges.......Do you get the idea yet?
7. KEEP YOURSELF BUSY. Try hiking, biking, knitting, sewing, jumping. hopping, cooking, eating, skipping, swimming, singing, whistling, hollering, screaming........ any thing but smoking.
8. SEPARATE YOUR NORMAL HABITS FROM THE HABIT OF SMOKING. If you had your morning coffee and cigarette on the porch, have your morning coffee in the kitchen.....or switch to tea for awhile.
9. BREATHE Look up Old Hippie Chick's comments. Take deep breaths when a craving hits, it helps.
10. IF A BIG CRAVING HITS, GO FOR A WALK and BREATHE instead of a smoke break, go for a walk around the block.
11. TRY TO AVOID TRIGGERS For me, getting pissed off made me want a cigarette. Republicans piss me off so I turned the TV off and avoided the talk shows. I saved the nicotine replacements for these moments. In my case, I used the lozenges when those unexplainable feelings of being really pissed off started.
12. LAUGH, LAUGH OUT LOUD Maybe the best counter to a nasty craving. You can't smoke when you are laughing.
13. IF YOU HAVE A SLIP UP, FORGET ABOUT IT AND SET UP ANOTHER QUIT DAY SOON. DO NOT GIVE UP ON QUITTING.
Buddy List 1BQ, 3rdGenFeminist, Abra Crabcakeya, Actbriniel, addisnana, AfroPonix, aishmael, Alise, Alpha99, A Man Called Gloom, ambeeeant, American in Kathmandu, amk for obama, andsarahtoo, angry marmot, Anne933, anodnhajo, aoeu, aquarius2001, arcadesproject, Archie2227, arodb, Arthur Wolf (in memoriam), assyrian64, awkawk, b4uknowit, bamablue, BARAKABETH, barnowl, b barrie, bdizz, beatpanda, beefydaddy18, BFSkinner, bgblcklab1, BigAlinWashSt, Bike Crash, BirderWitch, BJKay, bleeding heart, blingbling65, blue husky, Blue Intrigue, bluedust, BluejayRN, BlueJessamine, Bluerall, bluestatedem84, BoiseBlue, boudi08, Brahman Colorado, breedlovinit, BrenP, Bronxist, BrowniesAreGood, bsmechanic, buddabelly, bumbi, BusyinCA, Carol in San Antonio, CathiefromCanada, CathodeRay, CDH in Brooklyn, cee4, Cen Den, ChiTownDenny, ChocolateChris, ChurchofBruce, ciganka, cinnamondog, citizenx, ClapClapSnap, Cleante, Code Monkey, codobus, Coldblue Steele, Colorado is the Shiznit, coloradomomma, common green, commonmass, Common Sense Mainer, congenitalefty, coppercelt, dadanation, dangoch, DarienComp, dauber, Dauphin, Dave in AZ, Dave in Northridge, deedogg, demkat620, Dexter, Diana in NoVa, Dickie, DiegoUK, Dingodude, dirtdude, distraught, djMikulec, dolfin66, donnamarie, Donna O, dotsright, DRo, droogie6655321, Dube, duckhunter, Eclectablog, Eddie C, EdgedInBlue, effervescent, elbamash, El barragas, el vasco, ericlewis0, Everest42, Ex Con, ezdidit, fhamme, Fineena, fiona2, fishhawk, Flea, flumptytail, Friend of the court, fritzi56, FrugalGranny, Garrett, Gator, gchaucer2, GDbot, Geiiga, GenXangster, glorificus, glpaul, gooderservice, gooners, gravlax, greylox, grndrush (in memoriam), GrumpyWarriorPoet, gzodik, Haole in Hawaii, HappyinNM, henlesloop, HeyMikey, hideinplainsight, High Tide, hiliner68, hold tight, hulibow, I love OCD, Im a frayed knot, imisa, Indexer, indubitably, indyada, Interceptor7, Inventor, I said GOOD DAY sir, itsbenj, Jahiz, JamesEB, janl1776, Janeo, JayinPortland, jayjaybear, jbou, Jeffersonian Democrat, jmadlc55, jmonch, Joes Steven (aka Steven), john07801, johngoes, johnny wurster, jsfox, JVolvo's Mom, jwinIL14, Kai99, kailuacaton, Kamakhya, kat herder, Kelly of PA, kestrel9000, khloemi, Khun David, Kitsap River, kittania, KrazyKitten, Kristina40, Ksholl, labwitchy, Lady Kestrel, ladypockt, Lahdee, langerdang, LarsThorwald, LA rupert, last starfighter, LaughingPlanet, Laurie Gator, Leo in NJ, Lipstick Liberal, litoralis, lmdonovan, lockewasright, Lonely Texan, longislandny, luvsathoroughbred, maggiemay, magicsister, mango, Marc in KS, Marjmar, Mark E Andersen (Kodiak54), marknspokane, marsanges, maryabein, Matt Esler, mdemploi, Meteor Blades, Micburke, michael1104, MillieNeon, minerva1157, MinervainNH, Missys Brother, mjbleo, MnRaindog, mntleo2, Morague, Mr Bojangles, mrsgoo, mskitty, msmacgyver, MsWings, Murphoney, nannyboyz, ncsuLAN, NearlyNormal, Nedsdag, Nick Zouroudis, notgivingup, NY brit expat, OleHippieChick, one pissed off democrat, Onomastic, operculum, OrangeMike, Ordvefa, Overseas, Over the Edge, Pager, paige, PaintyKat, paradox, parryander, paulitics, Pennsylvanian, phrogge prince, Positronicus, post rational, PowWowPollock, Proud Mom and Grandma, psycho liberal, ptolemynm, Purple Priestess, PvtJarHead, racheltracks, randallt, ray bob, real world chick, red mittens, Reepicheep, regis, relentless, revelwoodie, revsue, Rex Manning, rexymeteorite, RiaD, rickeagle, ridemybike, rightiswrong, Rileycat, rincewind, rkex, roadlion, Roger Fox, Rosebuddear, roses, rscopes, Rudini, Safina, SallyCat, Sanuk, Sark Svemes, sboucher, scooter in brooklyn, Scrapyard Ape, seenaymah, sfbob, sgary, Shahryar, sheddhead, shesaid, Shifty18, shmuelman, shopkeeper, sidious666, slowbutsure, smartcookienyc, smeesq, Smoh, snoopydawg, snorwich, SnyperKitty, SoCalHobbit, sofia, soonergrunt, sostos, sowsearsoup, SpecialKinFlag, spmozart, spotDawa, SpotTheCat, StateOfGrace, Statusquomustgo, stiffneck, stonekeeper, sunbro, Super Grover, Syoho, tallmom, Tay, tdslf1, teknospaz, theatre goon, The Eyewitness Muse, TheGeneral, TheStoopingRabbit, TigerMom, Tim DeLaney, tiredofcrap, TomP, tonyahky, Toyotabob7, TracieLynn, TreeFrog, triciawyse, tripodisblack, trs, trueblueliberal, ttanner, Tulsonian, Turn VABlue, Turtle Bay, Tyto Alba, uc booker, UncleCharlie, Unduna, Unforgiven, ursoklevar, USArmyParatrooper, VA02 femocrat, Vacationland, valadon, Vayle, Vetwife, vgranucci, Village expects idiot home soon, waytac, webranding, weelzup, Wes Opinion, Whimsical Rapscallion, willy be frantic, willy mugobeer, Wood Dragon, wolfie1818, Wordsinthewind, Wreck Smurfy, x, xopher, yet another liberal, ZotzHave you had some experience with the effects of smoking, and want to write a GUS diary or host an open thread? Please sign up in the Butt Can (Tip Jar), and name the day and time that works for you (AM, PM, late-night, early-bird...)
Weekly GUS Diary Schedule
Sun AM: a hot summer day
Sun PM: Open
Mon AM: Open
Mon PM: boudi08 (subbing for a very grateful VL)
Tue AM : gchaucer2
Tue PM: Open
Wed AM: labwitchy
Wed PM: FrugalGranny
Thu AM: Open
Thu PM: Open
Fri AM: flumptytail
Fri PM: Open
Sat AM: effervescent
Sat PM: Open