For this year's "space-o'-lantern," veteran pumpkin carver and NASA employee Liz Warren honored what may be the biggest space event of the year: the Curiosity Mars rover.For all of my Mars diaries and all things Mars on Daily Kos go to Kossacks on Mars.
Curiosity landed on Mars in August, and for Halloween this year Warren carved a silhouette of the rover on a pumpkin. Warren has a longstanding tradition of carving space-themed pumpkins, which have usually honored space shuttle and International Space Station missions in the past.
"I carved a Curiosity design this year because in August of this year, that mission truly captured the imagination of the world in bold NASA fashion," Warren told SPACE.com. "They dared a mighty thing and they succeeded."
Just for fun.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by LeftOfYou
- (click to enlarge all images) Daily Kos Elections is pleased to introduce a brand-new approach to mapping America's congressional districts. Months in the making, and inspired in part ...69 comments 81 Recs
- There's an outside chance at real political change in Texas soon, not at the hands of the growing Latino population there. It could come from a much more powerful, and deep-pocketed source: ...78 comments 185 Recs
- The New York Times has an interesting news report out this evening recounting the large and enthusiastic crowds greeting Bernie Sanders in his first official campaign swing through Iowa: ...867 comments 380 Recs
- 77 comments 200 Recs
- Of course you didn't, until the Associated Press told you so : Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday: 1. EX-HOUSE SPEAKER DENNIS ...181 comments 322 Recs
- For unknown thousands of years humans have lived in a world of language. It surrounds us and is a part of us. From time to time, there have been those who pondered the question: What is the origin ...39 comments 48 Recs
- Sorry, nothing aviation related. The statistics will tell you that flying is quite safe even if your "gut" says otherwise. It was much more mundane than that. Someone almost ran me over.279 comments 422 Recs
- Is this the end of our domestic spying pal, Snuggly the Security Bear? Most likely not. Snuggly will probably still be in business and up to his usual tricks, he just may have to work with a ...10 comments 18 Recs
- Click image to enlarge. This week, Ireland voted YES (by vast majority) for same-sex marriage in a ...54 comments 89 Recs
- Former House speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Illinois), the longest-serving GOP House Speaker in history, was indicted Thursday, May 28, for illegally structuring cash withdrawals from bank accounts to ...25 comments 12 Recs
- Compulsive Gambling (1)
- Gambling (286)
- gambling addiction (6)
- Gambling and public revenue (1)
- Gov. Rick Perry (14)
- governor Rick Perry (47)
- illegal gambling (1)
- Internet poker (4)
- Legalized Gambling (7)
- online gambling (3)
- online poker (6)
- Poker (150)
- poker player (1)
- Rick Perry (1)
- Rick Perry (4586)
- Texas Governor Rick Perry (23)
- Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (2)