I voted early in Illinois so that I could volunteer to drive people to the polls. I didn't get a call until nearly noon. It was a woman who spoke with a Spanish accent. She gave me her address and her polling place. As I drove the 8 miles to town to pick her up, I wondered if I was being pranked by some ornery Republicans who'd picked up the Democratic flyer offering rides to the polls. When I got to the address, a lady in her mid forties came down the front steps. She thanked me all the way to her polling place. She was so excited. You see, she'd just become an American citizen on May 18 in Peoria and this was her first time voting. How cool was that? I feel so blessed to have been a part of her story.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by imeanit
- I was prompted to write this diary by a certain beloved Dailykos muckitty-muck, after I wrote to him to inform him of this news. And that news is...drumroll please: I ran for, and won, a position ...166 comments 384 Recs
- Over at Salon, again , readers will be faced with the specter of Thomas Frank, who has been wrestling for some time (at least since his book " What's the Matter With Kansas? ") with the matter of ...23 comments 31 Recs
- Sen. Mark Udall (D-CO) ends 2014 atop ...37 comments 37 Recs
- Once upon a time - after a ten year-long struggle to repair the damage from the Depression created by republican oligarchs - American resolve, industriousness and grit fought a world war on two ...515 comments 392 Recs
- Young Republican zombie chapter president?111 comments 75 Recs
- WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYONE...HELLO!!!! WE ARE GOING TO WAR. IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND FACING A HOSTILE RUSSIA. IMMIGRATION IS A MESS. THE NEXT ROUND OF ACA IS AROUND THE CORNER. JOB BILLS LANGUISH .25 comments 23 Recs
- The GOP's biggest fear: voters. Guy Cecil , head honcho at ...191 comments 210 Recs
- So how do we get our people fired up to get out there and vote? We all know how tremendously important turnout is on election day, especially in off year elections. I firmly believe that what ...235 comments 216 Recs
- Republicans have chosen a real peach of a Senate nominee in Georgia, where businessman David ...51 comments 41 Recs
- Colorado Sen. Mark Udall, pulling away from ...147 comments 105 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.