Epicurus, Lucretius, Hypatia, Shakespeare, Montaigne. A history of the book, 'On the Nature of Things' (de rerum natura). Thomas Jefferson had five copies in Latin as well as translations in English, French and Italian. Pretty much why the phrase "the pursuit of Happiness" is one of the three unalienable rights of humans in the US Declaration of Independence. There is so much talk today about what the other two, Life and Liberty, mean I find it's easy to forget it has equal billing. The book is recommended.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by cottondon
- Let's recap our SO2-level readings. 600 µg/m³ : Highest of the first post-eruption recordings in Iceland; they blew away Iceland's previous SO2 record by 2 1/2 times over. Also the levels which, ...227 comments 190 Recs
- A river of lava at night, and steam by day. That's what we see on the live cameras, when the view isn't blocked by a storm. It's tantalizingly close to being able to tell what's going on without ...87 comments 233 Recs
- Well, it's official now: the only road to the eruption site from the researchers' shelter at Dreki is now under half a dozen meters of glowing rock. But if only that was the only new problem people ...116 comments 279 Recs
- So much to write about tonight - intense quaking in the caldera, changes in the magma flow in the dike, questions to a vulcanologist, and on and on. I debated with myself as to what to lead with. ...140 comments 282 Recs
- Yesterday, we launched a one-week Daily Kos Styrktarátak Slysavarnarfélagsins Landsbjargar - the Daily Kos fundraiser for ICESAR, Icelandic Search and Rescue. I was hoping we might raise $500-1000 ...189 comments 329 Recs
- In a decision handed down in the last 4 minutes, Chad Taylor has been removed from the ballot. The decision, announced here.. http://www.kscourts.org/Chad_Taylor_v_Kris_Kobach/default.asp Provides ...69 comments 146 Recs
- Of course, despite how it may sound, that's not a traditional Icelandic Christmas song. Don't get me wrong, we have our own versions of American Christmas songs with little Icelandic twists, like Snæ150 comments 303 Recs
- Yesterday, Sigmundur Davíð, head of one our conservative parties and current Prime Minister and Minister of Justice, flew over the eruption on Holuhraun. As a professional courtesy, the volcano ...129 comments 357 Recs
- Let's repost the table from the other day: 20 µg/m³ : WHO 24-hour safety limit. Beyond this point, the overall mortality rate statistically increases (it pushes people who are on the edge over) ...247 comments 432 Recs
- Picture a place that you visit regularly. Now imagine that every day you show up, it has plunged downwards 90 centimeters, about three feet. Every day for weeks on end, each plunge associated with ...231 comments 462 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.