- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Cliff Diving:
- What's coming up on Sunday Kos ...
- The Descent of Republicans, by Mark Sumner
- Unskewed and undistinguished: The five most gloriously awful polls of 2012, by Steve Singiser
- Dear Macy’s, I’m cancelling my charge account, by Denise Oliver Velez
- To my fellow (100,000 or so) Americans wanting to secede: OK, thx buh bye, by Shanikka
- Emboldened, LGBT groups press forward on employment non-discrimination protection, by Scott Wooledge
- FEMA Aid For Sandy Relief Should Be A Part of 'Fiscal Cliff' Deal, by Armando
- 'Gifts': The legitimacy of self-interested voting, by Dante Atkins
- John McCain rewrites his epitaph, by Jon Perr
- Louisiana oil rig explosion kills two: Two workers are dead, two are missing and four are in critical condition at Louisiana hospitals after an off-shore oil-production rig exploded early Friday. The U.S. Coast Guard, which sent two helicopters and several boats to the scene, had no immediate information about the specific condition of the surviving victims. The rig is located 36 miles east of Port Fourchon, on the tip of Lafourche Parish, about 25 miles south of Grand Isle. The company, Black Elk Energy, said there were 28 workers on the rig when the explosion and fire occurred. Flames were extinguished about two hours after the fire started. Unlike BP's Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, which exploded during a gigantic, environment- and economy-wrecking oil blowout a mile below the Gulf of Mexico in early 2010, the Black Elk rig was already producing oil from shallow water and no major environmental outcome is expected. The Houston-headquartered company operates 854 wells on 155 platforms in Texas and Louisiana waters. - Meteor Blades
- If you're living in the greater Seattle area, mark your calendar:
King County Executive Dow Constantine will open the county Recorder's Office in Seattle early -- just after midnight -- on Dec. 6 to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
Constantine says he'll be waiting to sign the first license, making King County the first jurisdiction in the nation to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, based on voter approval.
- Well, something good has come from the whole Petraeus affair:
A stony-faced Taliban official burst into laughter at the mention of the Petraeus affair during an interview with AFP in northwest Pakistan this week.... but maybe laughter means something else to the Taliban:
"From a Pashtun point of view, Petraeus should be shot by relatives from his mistress's family," the Taliban official explained.
"From a Shariah point of view, he should be stoned to death."
- Give it up, Michigan:
Michigan’s ban on affirmative action was struck down for a second time by a federal appeals court Thursday – this time on rehearing by the full panel of judges on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
In a strong defense of minorities’ access to the political process, an eight-judge majority struck down the state constitutional amendment passed in 2006, holding that the amendment imposed a constitutionally impermissible burden on those seeking to implement a race-conscious admissions policy above and beyond the burden imposed on others seeking to change admissions criteria.
- How charming:
Bob FitzSimmonds, an official in the Virginia Republican Party and close ally of Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli, posted a comment on his Facebook page Wednesday that predicts President Barack Obama's eternal damnation.
"When Obama is 90 years old and he dies and goes to Hell, he is going to say 'This is all Bush's fault,'" FitzSimmonds wrote. [...]
He told the Hampton Roads Pilot in an email Thursday that he sees nothing wrong with his comment about the president.
"My Facebook post was not about Obama going to Hell," he said. "It was about his obsession with blame shifting and I don't really see anything inappropriate about it."
- Facebook has a Hurricane Sandy Thanksgiving Adopt a Family for Dinner page. Like it!
- Oh, now this is a game-changer: Meghan McCain may register as an Independent in 2016.
- A new go-to for you caffeinating needs:
The makers of Cracker Jack are adding a little more pop to their candy-coated popcorn. Frito-Lay will introduce Cracker Jack'D Power Bites caffeinated snacks later this year.
- From the too much time on their hands files: Twenty years of Law and Order edition.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- Gorgeous, in all ways. Old school craftsmanship meets vintage rock and roll in the video age. The result? Oddly amazing and perfect:18 comments 25 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 254 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'll say it: Luis Lang is a fool and a hypocrite. Over at Talking Points Memo, Josh Marshall has a story about a guy in South Carolina named Luis Lang who's in a nasty situation ...558 comments 677 Recs
- Let's play the name game... . . . Ok....ok...maybe not. :) But there are some interesting handles on here, and I've often wondered where they come from, so now is your chance to share, if you ...298 comments 53 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 448 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...16 comments 63 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.