- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is The general's legacy:
- What you missed on Sunday Kos ...
- The Descent of Republicans, by Mark Sumner
- Unskewed and undistinguished: The five most gloriously awful polls of 2012, by Steve Singiser
- Dear Macy’s, I’m cancelling my charge account, by Denise Oliver Velez
- To my fellow (100,000 or so) Americans wanting to secede: OK, thx buh bye, by Shanikka
- Emboldened, LGBT groups press forward on employment non-discrimination protection, by Scott Wooledge
- FEMA Aid For Sandy Relief Should /be A Part of 'Fiscal Cliff' Deal, by Armando
- 'Gifts': The legitimacy of self-interested voting, by Dante Atkins
- John McCain rewrites his epitaph, by Jon Perr
- The fourth annual Kossack-organized fund raiser to provide propane and portable heaters to the low-income communities living on South Dakota Indian reservations begins a blogathon today that will run through Sunday. The propane project, initiated by navajo and the Native American Netroots in the winter of 2009-2010 in the midst of a devastating ice storm, raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in assistance thanks to a mention by Keith Olbermann, then on MSNBC's Countdown. Since then, thousands of dollars have been raised each winter. Money is being sought specifically for the Pine Ridge Reservation and the Rosebud Indian Reservation, both of which border Nebraska in south-central South Dakota. Unfortunately, the problem is exacerbated by the policies of the state and federal governments and the failure of many mainstream charities to pay attention to Indian needs. Among the obstacles is the underfunded Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a program that supplies enough money for three to four weeks of assistance for an often brutal winter season that runs three to four months. For the Rosebud, the organizers of the fund-raising drive have developed a relationship with an Indian-owned propane company whose owners know who most needs assistance and can make deliveries within a day of receiving money. You can watch for posts starting today that include "propane project" in the headline or read about the fund raiser and how to contribute in this Nov. 1 post by Kossack Aji.
- So, what has Mitt Romney been up to since being crushed on November 6? Not much:
Spotted: Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann, at a showing of "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2" in Del Mar, Calif., on Saturday night, according to TMZ. Romney, an admitted fan of the "Twilight" series, owns a house nearby in La Jolla.
- Offered without comment:
Paula Broadwell, whose extramarital affair with CIA chief David Petraeus led to his resignation, is telling friends she is devastated by the fallout.
- Some teabaggers have a plan to make sure President Obama never serves a second term ... never mind that the plan is "inaccurate":
This election does not get decided until Mid-December when the Electoral College cast their votes.
According to Article II of the U.S. Constitution AND the 12th Amendment - if 1/3rd of the States do not cast their votes in the Electoral College -- then the matter falls onto the House of Representatives to choose the President.
In other words -- if we pressure Congressmen, State Party Officials, and groups such as Tea Party Patriots, Heritage Foundation, etc., to call on RED States to NOT have their Electors cast their vote -- then the House of Reps CAN choose the next President!!!!!
The democrats are stealing this election and it is up to WE, the people, to put the hammer down on their widespread vote-fraud. The founding-fathers gave us the Electoral College for several reasons.
Vote-Fraud is one of those reasons.
But it is up to us to hold tightly to the Constitution. If we don’t – then we are just as guilty as those who would ignore it.
The Constitution can stop the socialist machine in its' tracks.
- Here's a different kind of Republican:
Lance Gilman is a thriving businessman with dozens of employees. That those workers include a good many prostitutes didn't faze the people of a rural Nevada county who recently elected him as a Storey County commissioner by a wide margin.
The Mustang Ranch brothel owner is the first such owner to win election to public office in Nevada since prostitution was legalized here in 1971, Nevada historian Guy Rocha said. And he's believed to be the first to do so in the state's 148-year history.
- Shoot me:
How will it be for Sen. Joseph Lieberman after he retires from the U.S. Senate this year? His critics will be unmerciful for a while ... Yet I would wager that in the rear view mirror of history, Lieberman will look much, much better ... To break out, we need to restore a culture in which our leaders are smart enough to think for themselves, brave enough to stand up for their beliefs and tough enough to accept the consequences. What clearer example will we have than Joe Lieberman's half-century in the public arena?
- Apparently, he didn't (get over it):
If they aren’t the biggest drama queens around, these anti-gays.
In the UK, a bus driver refused to get on his bus, and left passengers stranded, because an advertisement on the side of it read: “Some people are gay. Get over it!”
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, we wrap up the discussion of the history, mechanics and procedure behind the "constitutional option" for Senate rules reform. Yes, it's been used before! Last year, even! But first, a welcome diversion from Greg Dworkin, who brought us the usual collection of fascinating news clips detailing Republican cluelessness, unskewing, and general fear of reality. Added bonus: a critique of Jonathan Bernstein's critique of the "talking filibuster" solution.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- Gorgeous, in all ways. Old school craftsmanship meets vintage rock and roll in the video age. The result? Oddly amazing and perfect:18 comments 24 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...264 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 252 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'll say it: Luis Lang is a fool and a hypocrite. Over at Talking Points Memo, Josh Marshall has a story about a guy in South Carolina named Luis Lang who's in a nasty situation ...558 comments 677 Recs
- Let's play the name game... . . . Ok....ok...maybe not. :) But there are some interesting handles on here, and I've often wondered where they come from, so now is your chance to share, if you ...298 comments 53 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 447 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...16 comments 63 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.