- Remember all those dire warnings that the hyper-macho military culture could never adjust to "Don't ask, Don't tell" repeal and relentless hate crimes against gays would jam everything up? Yeah. Maybe not so much. Now a military unit in Afghanistan has released this technicolor nightmare that will run in an endless loop in poor Tony Perkins' mind forever. It is apparently authentic. If this brings you a smile, joining Netroots for the Troops effort is a great way to return a smile.
- Time magazine reports Congress may be warming up to address a real, not imagined, sexual assault problem in the military.
- In the wake of the Christian Taliban's thumping, Marco Rubio immediately tacks to say, "I'm with the anti-science crowd." That's some formidable political instincts, huh?
- Republicans correctly identify the hazing process for the clown car brigade hampers their nomination process, but fixing that's not enough. Procedures aren't the problem, your positions are, says Greg Sargent.
- Hey, you just tossed away a billion dollars trying to unseat a sitting president, what's next? "I'm going to Disney Land!" Anyone surprised he's skipping Epcot?
- Obama's victory? We built that, labor leader, A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s president Richard Trumka tells the New York Times.
- The style of Michelle Obama. It'd be sexist if she didn't consistently look so darn fabulous and deserve the props.
- CDC reports abortion rates drop five percent, the largest drop in a decade. Mississippi had the lowest abortion rate also the nation's highest teen birthrate.
- Move over, Pluto, there's a newly discovered dwarf planet in the neighborhood, NASA says. Christened Makemake, it's cold, rocky and covered with methane ice, and has no atmosphere they say. Fun.
- Montana moving forward on marijuana legalization ballot initiative for 2014. Meanwhile authorities in New Mexico report that state's growers are increasingly deciding to go green in a whole new way.
- Related: drug enforcement at the DEA, it's just a black thing, says former U.S. marshal and special agent for the Drug Enforcement Agency, Matthew Fog.
- Australian marine scientists set sail for a south Pacific island, discover Google Maps lied and it doesn't exist. Damon Lindelof has no comment.
- Tennessee Republican Rep. Scott DesJarlais has no intention of resigning after it became known post-election his wife had two abortions and he had multiple extramarital affairs. It's not like the tweeted a picture of his dick, people.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt codified Thanksgiving as the fourth Thursday in November in 1941. This is among National Geographic's Myths and Facts about Thanksgiving.
- Inclusion in Lincoln movie shines spotlight on Mary Todd Lincoln's close friendship with an African American woman born into slavery. Wall Street Journal has more.
- Mitzvah doesn't cover it: Jewish group commits $10M to Hurricane Sandy relief.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, Eyesbright, Fred in Santa Cruz, kerplunk, peacestpete, 417els, raincrow, blueoasis, gpoutney, MBNYC, offgrid, wildweasels, JeffW, bythesea, lissablack, nancat357, gramofsam1, Patate, DRo, a2nite, AZ Sphinx Moth, Most Awesome Nana, LilithGardener, Catkin
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Scott Wooledge
- So, are you one of those people who are upset that so many came out and gave to the pizza parlor that would refuse pizza to anyone that was openly LGBT? Guess what? Do something about it. Now. ...5 comments 17 Recs
- I go out for an hour or so and when I get back to my computer, several websites, including JoeMyGod and Equality on Trial break the news that the Utah Attorney General has petitioned Justice ...25 comments 18 Recs
- Come on, I couldn't make this up. REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL: OUTSIDE COUNSEL TO ASSIST WITH KITCHEN et al. v HERBERT et al. SAME SEX MARRIAGE CASE Our attorneys don't know shit about shit, ...30 comments 32 Recs
- It seems like every time there is new momentum for marriage equality or another LGBT civil rights issue, "gay rights groups" are criticized for their "laser" focus on marriage equality. Sometimes, ...84 comments 56 Recs
- Conservatives have rallied to Phil Robertson's defense, arguing that employers should not be allowed to fire someone for making homophobic remarks. ...245 comments 352 Recs
- PLEASE REC! MONEY BOMB to end Michigan's same-sex marriage ban, a court case with nat'l implicationsThis could be the case that overturns same-sex marriage bans across the country once and for all Originally posted at Eclectablog . [left to right: April, Nolan, Jacob, Jayne, and Ryanne. Photos ...10 comments 101 Recs
- 545 comments 501 Recs
- For the victims of sexual assault in the military, and all those who want to finally see real transformational change made within the broken military justice system, it was extremely disappointing ...7 comments 43 Recs
- Canada's Conservative Party led by Prime Minister Steven Harper had to cancel plans for its national convention planned for Calgary following massive and flooding that forced the evacuation of 65,...22 comments 25 Recs