Instead of the Big Four of Boehner, Pelosi, Reid and McConnell meeting with President Obama at the White House, the President is dispatching his Treasury Secretary and top legislative liaison to the Capitol.The beginning of official talks is, of course, leading to rampant speculation on the shape of those talks. But what is arguably more important than what happens in those rooms right now is the ongoing public negotiating. It's setting the stage for what will happen when it gets down to President Obama, Reid, McConnell, Boehner, and Pelosi. Making a public case and using the bully pulpit, as Obama is doing on taxes, will help shape how the behind-closed-doors talks proceed.
Those two men though won't sit down in one room with the Congressional leaders—instead they will meet separately with them, in a series of one-on-one meetings..
Not in one room, exchanging ideas, but individually.
Most of the back and forth in fiscal
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, plan9pub, wdrath, Sophie Amrain, lyvwyr101, stagemom, vigilant meerkat, One Pissed Off Liberal, millwood, leonard145b, allie123, Mr MadAsHell, We Won, This old man, nuclear winter solstice, remembrance, SanFernandoValleyMom, VinaMist
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- Explosions in late 2014 variously described as an ISIL truck bomb or a U.S. airstrike in the town of Kobane on the Turkish-Syrian border. ...92 comments 60 Recs
- Sorry, nothing aviation related. The statistics will tell you that flying is quite safe even if your "gut" says otherwise. It was much more mundane than that. Someone almost ran me over.272 comments 417 Recs
- Is this the end of our domestic spying pal, Snuggly the Security Bear? Most likely not. Snuggly will probably still be in business and up to his usual tricks, he just may have to work with a ...9 comments 15 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...328 comments 329 Recs
- You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...226 comments 230 Recs
- Last week, I noted that the number of ACA exchange-based QHP selections has officially passed the 12 million mark nationally. I also mentioned that: Of course, when you throw in the missing tax ...10 comments 20 Recs
- Early results in the marriage equality referendum indicate a very strong showing for the yes vote. It's looking like a celebratory mood is emerging already within the Irish gay community, although ...187 comments 179 Recs
- Let’s say that you are a bit older, overweight, out of shape, and making your only visit to Glacier National Park. Now this is a National Park filled with hiking trails and lots of young, ...15 comments 40 Recs
- Need a bit of inspiration this morning? I've got just the story for you. On Tuesday, two men showed up on a street corner in Tillamook, Oregon, with signs reading "Homo sex is sin" and "Jesus said ...121 comments 426 Recs
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.