- China announced that police forces in the southern province of Hainan will now board ships travelling through the disputed waters of the South China Sea:
The South China Sea is Asia's biggest potential military trouble spot with several Asian countries claiming sovereignty over waters believed to be rich in oil and gas.A carrier strike group led by the USS George Washington cruised through the disputed waters in October. For more info on the dispute, click here.
The shortest route between the Pacific and Indian Oceans, it has some of the world's busiest shipping lanes. More than half the globe's oil tanker traffic passes through it.
New rules, which come into effect on Jan. 1, will allow Hainan police to board and seize control of foreign ships which "illegally enter" Chinese waters and order them to change course or stop sailing, the official China Daily reported.
- Colombia and Nicaragua exchanged sharp words over their dispute for oil-rich waters:
So far, the two countries have engaged in a bureaucratic chess game as the government leaders flex their political muscle, with military ships from both countries being sent to the disputed area.
While the International Court of Justice at The Hague ruled on November 19 that Colombia does in fact own the regional islands of San Andres, Providencia and Santa Catalina, it gave the expanse of some 120 square kilometers of oil-rich ocean to Nicaragua. Colombia, which has long fought to keep the area, has rejected the decision and officially left the Bogotá Pact, a 1948 treaty which recognizes ICJ rulings to find peaceful solutions to these types of conflicts.
- Tanzania and Malawi are disputing the border at Lake Nyasa:
The most threatening time was last August when the war of words between the two countries took a turn for the worse after the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Bernard Membe issued what appeared to be the official statement of the Tanzania government.
It followed the revival of a long time claim by Malawi that the border with this country in the Western side is the shores of Lake Nyasa that includes Mbamba Bay and other areas around the lake. In fact the former Malawian leader, Dr Hastings Banda once claimed Njombe, Songea and Mbeya to be part of Malawi!
- South Korea is angry at Apple Maps for using the Japanese name for a set of islands disputed between the two countries. Seems like everyone is mad at Apple Maps.
- Belize and Guatemala are making progress on their territorial dispute.
- Canada and Denmark settled their artic circle dispute.
- Finally, in Redwood Falls, MN, a brutal battle over six inches of land:
That six inch strip of land was Jones’, had been his or his father’s for as long as they’d been alive, and he didn’t care what some new surveyors claimed.
Those metal pins had been in the ground of Jones’ lawn for longer than anyone in that council chamber had been alive, had priority, and should be respected. Jones claimed that if the city abided by the new survey and legally recognized the six inches of grass belonged to Smith, there would be consequences. There would be a lawsuit, and Jones would demand the city reimburse him for all the property tax he and his ancestors had paid on that six inch strip of grass going back for decades. At that point, the city council members basically threw up their hands, admitted they didn’t know what to do and would have to refer the matter to the city attorney for study.
- Fighting over territory. The human condition. Are you engaged in any territorial disputes?
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, OLinda, wonkydonkey, RLF, betson08, lyvwyr101, GreyHawk, Land of Enchantment, gpoutney, sceptical observer, Eikyu Saha, JeffW, divineorder, chambord, foucaultspendulum, wxorknot, Says Who
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by brooklynbadboy
- The All-Nations Native American Veterans Memorial in Jefferson, Oregon [This is an edited and updated reprise of an essay first written for Memorial Day in 2010.] My ...55 comments 245 Recs
- I haven't been blogging for a bit. I've been busy reading and researching. But given the discussions of late, I thought I would share a bit of truth about ourselves that needs to be exposed and ...320 comments 434 Recs
- I don't know about you, but I am tired of these videos popping up with actual, factual brutality and sometimes DEATH of the alledged suspect at the hands of the police. This video below, will just ...147 comments 285 Recs
- Today, Senator Elizabeth Warren and Mayor Bill DeBlasio jointy wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post that is worth reading. Some excerpts: In this land of big dreams, there was never a dream ...69 comments 59 Recs
- Hillary Clinton at Rancho ...208 comments 163 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 448 Recs
- Former Baltimore Mayor and Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has been getting slammed in the media and by some here for what happened to Freddie Gray and for the Baltimore riots. His critics say ...130 comments 129 Recs
- Damnation to those who think otherwise: " It is necessary to control women's sexual urges ," says Hakim, a stern, bespectacled man in a fez. " They must be chaste to preserve their beauty ." I had ...69 comments 75 Recs
- ...and it's terrific. Or as the Daily Beast describes it: "Meet the new Barack Obama: Her name is Hillary Clinton." I thought Hillary's speeches in the last few months of her last campaign ...111 comments 38 Recs
- Had he lived in our times, he (we'll call him Bill) could have been a prominent blogger on Daily Kos. In fact, given his way with words and unique ability to coin new phrases, I'm sure he'd have ...131 comments 240 Recs
- No current results.