Pie ... we see a lot of it on Daily Kos, yes? Isn’t it nice to find a ‘place’ of refuge? Many nights, for some Kossacks, Top Comments has been that place of refuge. But, on this night, pie has come to Top Comments!
More below! But, first, a word from our sponsor ...
|Top Comments recognizes the previous day's Top Mojo and strives to promote each day's outstanding comments through nominations made by Kossacks like you. Please send comments (before 9:30pm ET) by email to email@example.com or by our KosMail message board. Just click on the Spinning Top to make a submission. Look for the Spinning Top to pop up in diaries around Daily Kos.
Make sure that you include the direct link to the comment (the URL), which is available by clicking on that comment's date/time. Please let us know your Daily Kos user name if you use email so we can credit you properly. If you send a writeup with the link, we can include that as well. The diarist reserves the right to edit all content.
Please come in. You're invited to make yourself at home! Join us beneath the fleur de kos...
Okay, well, perhaps not pie. But pi!
Just computed 3000 digits of #Pi on my #iPhone!
14675142691239748940907186494231961 Total computation time = 0.02 seconds
Isn’t that cool? There is an iOS app that will calculate and display up to 99,999 digits of pi (it does not count the 3 as one digit). It does not ‘round’ its calculations. Four digits is 3.1415, even though five digits is 3.14159. Should the app accommodate rounding? The app developers apparently thought no. You are free to disagree!
Some interesting facts about pi:
Where does the word ‘pie’ come from?
Where does the word ‘pi’ come from?
Human beings have been fascinated by calculations of pi for centuries. In the present day, with the advantage of computers, pi has now been calculated to 10 trillion digits. (It would be outside the scope of this diary to include them, though you are free to disagree!) For scientific purposes, calculations of pi to 40 digits are usually considered adequate for accuracy. It may be a few years before 10 trillion digits are needed. (You are free to disagree!)
Other human beings have invested themselves in memorizing long sequences of pi (called piphilology). Wikipedia says the Guinness-certified world record is 67,890 digits. (It took 24 hours and four minutes to recite! =:o )
Is that a worthwhile use of our time? I think no. (You are free to disagree!) One of the things I love best about Daily Kos is the focus on our political and social causes. In my opinion, work on any of those is more worthwhile than time spent memorizing digits of pi (after the first four, rounded)!
If the 3000 digits I shared do not satisfy you, you can find much larger computations on this page. (I do not advise this, but you are free to disagree!)
The pi search website lets you search for your ‘number’ on their page (your number being your birth month, birth date and year, using 0 for days and months under 10, so your number would contain 8 digits) in a database containing 200 million digits of pi. The odds of finding your number is appx. 86%. (FYI, mine is not found in that search.) Does this search have importance? Not much, I think. (Though you are free to disagree!) (Incidentally, the conclusion on the Pi Search page itself calls it ‘exceptionally useless’ and ‘occasionally useful.’)
To find if your number appears in the first two million digits, enter it in the search field at the top of this page. Jan. 12, 2013 would be 01122013. (The string 01122013 occurs at position 24,978,781 counting from the first digit after the decimal point. The 3. is not counted.)
Celebrate Pi Day! (Every March 14, duh! ::wink:: )
How does one best celebrate Pi Day? By eating pie?! (You are free to disagree!)
Of them all, which is your favorite pi fight? (I am free to disagree!)
Thanks for reading tonight! On to tonight’s comments!
The comment I am nominating was in this diary by Walt starr, and it's by Otteray Scribe.
Brainwrap's great diary about Republican rape comments brought this comment/video from JML9999 that I think is a must watch.
(Ed. Note: One of the most recommended video links I have seen in some time!)
And this comment from greenbird includes a fun 'Death Star' link!
This comment on gun safety by Reformed and trying to be reasonable is thoughtful comment on a difficult subject.
This comment (out of recommendability) by srfRantz --- Misunderstandings of the right AND left captured here!
From BeninSC:Tonight's Top Mojo, graciously compiled by mik!
Cartoon Messiah flagged this snarky comment by CJB on the Cafe proprietor who tried to propagandize a lesbian couple in the restaurant.
leftynyc flagged this video comment by Just Bob, for cat and dog lovers!
Youffraita flagged this church billboard creation in a comment submitted by noweasels!
1) If only she had been armed. by kitebro — 218Tonight's Top Pictures, for which we thank jotter!
2) Mojo decays over time by blue aardvark — 211
3) Let's just hope they don't open a chemistry by Roadbed Guy — 175
4) Heh. by Bob Johnson — 173
5) Thank you, by DianeNYS — 159
6) blush by blue aardvark — 159
7) Yeah. by Scott Wooledge — 158
8) She was always armed by Alexandre — 143
9) Couldn't happen to a nicer fella by Andrew C White — 142
10) These hypocrites serve God Damned shellfish by FishOutofWater — 129
11) Thank you, by DianeNYS — 125
12) Great idea BA! I'll t&r too, let's everyone do it by some other george — 109
13) who is a liar! by sc kitty — 109
14) Are we feeling secure yet? by FishOutofWater — 106
15) you can't defend yourself by DSC on the Plateau — 105
16) They were till they weren't. n/t by Rich in PA — 101
17) People REALLY should be walking the streets by xxdr zombiexx — 99
18) The Lounge Is Open by TexDem — 97
19) Here is the link from by AJ in Camden — 96
20) Mojo Friday Wants You by TexDem — 93
21) CC Is Watching by TexDem — 92
22) Thanks For Stopping By by TexDem — 90
23) Heh Heh by TexDem — 87
24) Hooked Yet? by TexDem — 86
25) oh my by downtownLALife — 85
26) To recap additionally: by Addison — 85
27) The half life of a mojo by Andrew C White — 85
28) More Mojo! by TexDem — 84
29) No More Excuses! by TexDem — 84
30) If you keep saying what you really think... by detroitmechworks — 83
31) Heh by TexDem — 83
32) Good Morning Everybody! by Ex Con — 83