You can sign Durbin's petition here:Passing immigration reform won't be easy, but we have our best chance in years right now -- we have to seize it.
For Latinos and other immigrants, this is the civil rights issue of our time. And for all of us, as President Obama said in his second inaugural address, our journey is not complete as a nation until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who see America as a land of opportunity.
This week, we were proud to join several of our Senate colleagues in introducing a comprehensive, bipartisan immigration reform framework.
Now is the time for these commonsense, comprehensive reforms -- but many will seek to stand in the way.
We need to show potential opponents that this framework has broad public support. Sign our petition for comprehensive immigration reform at www.ComprehensiveReform.com today.
For the first time in many years, Republicans and Democrats seem ready to tackle this problem together. But remember, this is not just a debate about policy -- it's about people.
That means that any reform must be comprehensive:
It must include the principles of the DREAM Act, so that children brought here illegally through no fault of their own will be eligible for earned citizenship by going to college or serving honorably in the Armed Forces for at least two years.
It must provide a path to citizenship for those who are already here without papers, to bring them out of the shadows and give them a chance to play by the same rules as the rest of us.
It must protect American workers and ensure our immigration system is aligned with the needs of our changing economy.
And although we are a nation of immigrants, reform must recognize that we are a nation of laws as well. We will work to continue strengthening border security.
There's much more to these reforms, but none of it will make a difference to those who are staunchly opposed to any change. We need to show overwhelming public support on our side in order for reform to pass.
Sign our petition at www.ComprehensiveReform.com to show your support for comprehensive immigration reform in the Senate today.
What makes somebody an American isn't just blood or birth, but allegiance to our founding principles. Passing a comprehensive reform package will preserve those principles and set America on the path to greatness for decades to come.
Thanks for your support,
P.S. Comprehensive immigration reform must also include a mechanism to reunite families and establish enforceable rules for workplace fairness. -- Dick
Received an e-mail from Senator Dick Durbin (D. IL) who is working with Senators Chuck Schumer (D. NY), Bob Menendez (D. NJ) and Michael Bennet (D. CO) to help get a comprehensive immigration reform plan passed through congress. He is gathering signatures for people to put the pressure on congress to pass a comprehensive plan:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...99 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...137 comments 222 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...282 comments 441 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 298 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.