I believe that we constantly underestimate President Obama. For example, many here criticized the "fiscal cliff deal" because it did not include a debt ceiling deal. Well, the GOP caved on the debt ceiling. (Admittedly, I am concerned about sequestration and wondering what rabbit will come out of what hat to solve that.)
I know there are debates here about whether and when the President is playing "11 dimensional chess." But after reading The NewDeal00's diary BACKFIRE: How the GOP Screwed Themselves by Blocking Susan Rice, I contacted some of my sources at the White House and the Hill and got the whole story.
After getting extensive deep background information, I now realize that we can stop "Searching for the Bobby Fischer" of Presidential strategy. The Rice-Kerry ploy revealed not only 11 dimensional, but 13 dimensional chess by the Grandmaster of the Oval Office.
Here are the 13 diabolical (in a good way) steps:
1. Early Sept. 2012: Obama obtains secret information that Scott Brown will not run if Kerry leaves his seat.Check, Nomination, Senate Seat and Mate.
2. Post Sept. 11, 2011: GOP goes nuts over Benghazi.
3. Susan Rice appears on TeeVee and gives carefully worded statement designed to elicit frantic GOP attacks.
4. Obama floats Rice as Sec. of State nominee.
5. GOP attacks on cue.
6. Obama feigns support for Rice initially.
7. Obama reluctantly (hah!) withdraws Rice from consideration.
8. GOP dances around the fire, sacrificing small animals and screaming in triumph at their first casualty of the 2d Obama term.
9. Obama nominates Kerry.
10. GOP joins in near unanimous confirmation of Kerry.
11. Ed Markey declares candidacy.
12. Scott Brown withdraws.
13. Dems most likely retain Kerry's seat.