According to military.com (and some hot phone calls we just got here at work from military contacts) repubican chickenhawk hypocrisy, democratic conflict-aversion spinelessness and their impacts on servicemembers and veterans have not yet reached their nadir. Access to tuition assistance dollars is one of several tools military recruiters have been able to use to entice eligible Americans to lend their talents (and their lives) to serving the country in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. The "contract" entered into between average citizens and their government through enlistment in the military is pretty simple, and the promise of access to tuition assistance is one of the means by which bright, often young men and women, who have not been blessed with Bushesque or Romneyesque paid-in-full trust fund "scholarships" to the Ivy League schools, basically sign their very lives away to get a semblance of opportunities upon which the children of the 1 percent float through life. That rising tide cited by Reagan (that continues to sink many boats) has led the federal government to begin breaking that basic contract with servicemembers, many of whom have served multiple deployments in the repubican-initiated and democratic-facilitated wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Access to tuition assistance for Marine Corps has already been suspended. Army soldiers' TA access will cease as of 5:00 p.m. today. The impact will reach down to hundreds of thousands of servicemembers who are in the middle of pursuing degree programs, as well as the nearly 2,000 higher education institutions who have been participating in these TA programs. Of course, I help administer the program for the Army on the education side, so I and my colleagues are most likely toast, but quite frankly, I'm used to this. Have been downsized three times in two years. Keep it up my beloved government. Keep cranking down the screws, ignore your oaths, disregard your contracts, dishonor your offices. It will make it much easier see you as the treacherous jerks that you are just prior to your getting flushed into the cesspool of history. Be blessed.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Bob Johnson, BOHICA, Powered Grace, akeitz, Richard Cranium, dewtx, jimstaro, detroitmechworks, CA Nana, Azubia, vet, OleHippieChick, alasmoses, oakborn, DaNang65, Jed Lewison, mkoz, IndieGuy, ahumbleopinion, Lily O Lady, GreenMother, OregonWetDog, richholtzin
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by dannyboy1
- Sitting here, late on Friday night, the teevee's on. Cheers! as it turns out. The episode opens with the dark haired one coming in, somehow becoming the center of the episode. Ordinary enough. ...31 comments 56 Recs
- Defending the Arts in a Climate of Fear is a real eye-opener into the way the Christie statehouse operates. Actually, it may just be that your eyes are simply widening in fright. It appears on the ...129 comments 448 Recs
- I've been reading some stuff about privilege and privileged attitudes. One of the things that makes me the most angry is when the privileged person says "It's not fair that you say that I have ...280 comments 121 Recs
- With the premiere of the documentary Mitt this week, the Mitt Romney rehabilitation project will be projected on screens ...126 comments 160 Recs
- We all suffer this malady - judgement(s) base on the color of our skins, the kind of car we drive, whether or not our pearly whites are indeed white and straight, what kind of car we drive, whether ...7 comments 12 Recs
- "Les Miserables" is a story not so much of love and misery, but of the utter obstinacy of people more devoted to their own grief than to life around them. Perhaps you know someone like that. Don'...12 comments 11 Recs
- During the last election cycle, the Republicans were making a big deal about job creation. They claimed that they had smarter policies than the Dems that would help the average American, including ...19 comments 17 Recs
- As I now come down the home stretch of my professional working life, I can look back and see more clearly the terror of my own past encounters with potential joblessness. I feel that such reflection ...21 comments 37 Recs
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Tomorrow,302 comments 205 Recs
- She was interviewing Mason Tvert, an expert on the topic of marijuana ( Marijuana is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink? ) and director of communications for the Marijuana Policy Project, ...167 comments 168 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.