You can sign Shaheen's petition here:In 2010, New Hampshire became one of the first states in the country to legalize same-sex marriage.
But three years later, legally married same-sex couples in New Hampshire and other states are still denied federal benefits because of the Defense of Marriage Act. We must no longer tolerate the kind of discrimination contained within DOMA.We can change that by speaking out – before the Supreme Court begins hearing a challenge to DOMA in just 6 days. Along with several Senate colleagues, I’ve started a petition calling for DOMA to be overturned. I need you to join us now.
Click here to sign our petition letting the Supreme Court know that you support overturning DOMA:
Same-sex couples shouldn’t be discriminated against in the tax code. Grieving families shouldn’t be denied Social Security and retirement benefits when a loved one passes on. Children shouldn’t have to feel like their parents’ love isn’t enough – or that it doesn’t count.
LGBT Americans deserve equal treatment under the law. It’s that simple.
But they won’t get it until we do away with DOMA.
This is the greatest civil rights struggle of our time, but we’re on the cusp of breaking through. With your help, we can do it now. Let the justices know where you stand.
Tell the Supreme Court that you support full marriage equality:
Received this e-mail from Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D. NH) this morning:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...83 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...135 comments 218 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...276 comments 440 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 298 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 58 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.