Boston appears safe.
- The so-called second suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, will not be read Miranda rights, as the government has invoked a public safety exception that allows unwarned statements to be admissible in court.
- The Democratic State Assembly Caucus has an informal surf caucus, and they're encouraging you to participate in Earth Day! It's coming up on April 22.
- How is this supposed to work exactly? Senior leadership in the Boy Scouts is considering a "compromise" that would allow gay scouts, but still bar gay adults from serving in volunteer capacities. So, as long as you're under 18, it's okay to be gay, but as soon as you hit that magic birthday, you become evil gay? I can't even...
- The New York Times has a more in-depth profile of the Tsarnaev brothers. The transformation of Dzhokhar from a seemingly happy American teenager into the most wanted man in America is shocking and sad.
- What the...
A California junior high school has amended its dress code to ban leggings for girls, claiming that they can be a classroom distraction. "Leggings have become popular among girls and many are sheer," said the school's principal. "When girls bend in leggings the threads spread and that's when it really becomes a problem."
- Ann Coulter says that if Rubio's recently proposed immigration bill passes, it will be the "end of America."
- The fact that this was felt to be necessary speaks volumes. Problematic volumes.
Statement of the Ambassador of the Czech Republic on the Boston terrorist attack
19.04.2013 / 21:27
As many I was deeply shocked by the tragedy that occurred in Boston earlier this month. It was a stark reminder of the fact that any of us could be a victim of senseless violence anywhere at any moment.
As more information on the origin of the alleged perpetrators is coming to light, I am concerned to note in the social media a most unfortunate misunderstanding in this respect. The Czech Republic and Chechnya are two very different entities - the Czech Republic is a Central European country; Chechnya is a part of the Russian Federation.
As the President of the Czech Republic Miloš Zeman noted in his message to President Obama, the Czech Republic is an active and reliable partner of the United States in the fight against terrorism. We are determined to stand side by side with our allies in this respect, there is no doubt about that.
Ambassador of the Czech Republic
- Always happy to see my home county party, the Los Angeles County Democratic Party, win some prestigious Pollie awards from the American Association of Political Consultants.
- Here's some light reading for you: the sordid and shady history of the man who just became the Chair of the Texas Republcian Party.
Texas Republican Party Chairman Steve Munisteri was elected to his position in 2010. "I'm humbled and honored that the delegates to the convention of the Republican Party of Texas have elected me," he said at the time.That's only the beginning. It gets much worse.
But Chairman Munisteri hasn't always been filled with humility and honor. Far from it.
From 1997-2000, Munisteri managed the boxer Ikemefula "Ike" Ibeabuchi. In 1997, when Munisteri became Ibeabuchi's manager, the Nigerian national kidnapped his former girlfriend's son, stuffed him in his car, and crashed the car into a concrete pillar. The boy was severely injured and still cannot walk properly. The court determined that Ibeabuchi was trying to commit suicide with the boy in his car, giving him a meager 120 days of prison time and forced him to pay the boy's mother $500,000 in a civil settlement.
This terrible crime did not deter Munisteri from continuing to manage Ibeabuchi. "Ike has no criminal charges against him, no serious charges ended sticking, just a misdemeanour,' Munisteri, also a practicing attorney told the Vancouver Sun in 1999. "He had an incident with the law, it's resolved and we move on." "Just a misdemeanor" in which Ibeabuchi kidnapped and partially disabled a child.
"I planned his comeback," Munisteri boasted in a 2006 boxing blog interview. "After the Tua fight, and the injury to the child; he was incarcerated, and no one would touch him. He dropped out of the rankings." No one except for Munisteri that is, who was concerned only with making a buck by pushing Ibeabuchi's career forward.