You can click here to sign the petition:It's an ugly truth: As Pennsylvania's top environmental regulator, Michael Krancer shilled for the fracking industry. That's why it's exciting that he resigned from public service last month and returned to his old job: lawyering for the oil and gas industry.
Krancer's tenure as Department of Environmental Protection Secretary is a sad case study in the revolving door between the fracking industry and the DEP. His departure is an opportunity to appoint an environmental regulator who will crack down on the fracking industry's reckless disregard for Pennsylvanians' health and safety.
Governor Corbett, who will appoint Krancer's replacement, is famously pro-fracking. But he's also facing a tough re-election campaign in 2014 and will likely face harsh criticism over his environmental record. That makes this an incredibly important time to go on record pressuring Governor Corbett to appoint a DEP secretary who will protect Pennsylvanians from fracking.Tell Governor Corbett: Appoint an environmental expert without fracking industry ties as Department of Environmental Protection Secretary, not another shill for the industry. Click here to sign:
The DEP Interim Secretary is Governor Corbett's Deputy Chief of Staff, Chris Abruzzo, who has no environmental expertise and, absurdly, is only working part time at the position. It's a terrible arrangement, but we need to make sure it doesn't get even worse when a full-time DEP Secretary is appointed.
In his time at the DEP, Krancer was a vocal cheerleader for Pennsylvania's fracking boom. He fired off vitriolic letters to the EPA for investigating fracking-related water contamination in Pennsylvania, backed crippling cuts to the DEP's budget, withheld the results of water contamination tests from families impacted by fracking, and even publicly questioned mainstream climate science.In short, far from being Pennsylvania's top environmental cop, Secretary Krancer protected the profits of the same oil and gas companies that he spent much of his private sector career working for. And Pennsylvanians have suffered the consequences: flammable tap water, endless diesel truck traffic, toxic spills and blowouts, and cancer-causing air pollution.
Now that Krancer is out, we need to seize the opportunity to call out the DEP's cozy relationship with the fracking industry and demand reform.
Tell Governor Corbett: Don't appoint another fracking industry shill as Pennsylvania's top environmental regulator. Click here to sign:
Thanks for fighting fracking.
Zack Malitz, Campaign Manager
CREDO Action from Working Assets
Received this e-mail today from CREDO Action regarding Governor Tom Corbett (R. PA) and fracking:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gowrie Gal, marina, redcedar, tobendaro, quadmom, jhop7, JamieG from Md, nosleep4u, Mentatmark, John Crapper, onceasgt, ProgressivePatriotPA, Kimbeaux
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...99 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...137 comments 222 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...284 comments 443 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 299 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.