You can click here to sign Hagan's petition:Just last week, the Air Force Lt. Colonel in charge of sexual assault prevention was arrested for sexual battery. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg: The Pentagon’s own estimates suggest as many as 26,000 service members were assaulted in 2012. 26,000.
That’s unacceptable. Click here to sign our petition with EMILY's List telling Congress to pass legislation giving our troops the protection they deserve:
Worse still is that only an estimated 13 percent of those men and women reported the crime, and many of the cases were never acted on. In fact, even after a verdict is reached, senior military officers with no legal training can throw out the charges—even if there are serious conflicts of interest. That means many of our troops often have to fight for our country alongside those who abuse them.
We have to fix this. Sign now to tell Congress to act to prevent sexual assault in the military:
Our troops put themselves in harm's way every day. We owe it to them—and to our country—to ensure they can do their jobs without the threat of sexual violence.
Thanks for joining me to stand up for those who fight for us.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Kay Hagan (D. NC):
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet got some ...12 comments 6 Recs
- Under the First Amendment, you have the right to petition your government to redress your grievances. Now would be a good time to do that. Today. According to public reports, the 18 Democratic ...8 comments 50 Recs
- FTR, a 2007 Martin O'Malley and Harold Ford (!) column in defense of "the vital center" (and the DLC): Some liberals are so confident about Democratic prospects that they contend the centrism that ...10 comments 18 Recs
- Rep. John Delaney (D-Doofus) Holy crap this guy is a doofus.140 comments 85 Recs
- The gloves are off, the sides have been clearly drawn. It's the president, the Republican Party and business versus the people, workers, labor and most of the Democratic Party. And a top House ...83 comments 168 Recs
- Alaska sets new record for earliest day with temperatures in the 90s! Temperature in Alaska on the afternoon of May 23, 2015, based on data from NOAA's Real-time Mesoscale Unbelievable that ...133 comments 213 Recs
- New York, I love you, but you're freaking me out. I've been working full time and trying to find a place to live that I can afford and it is going nowhere. Bouncing back and forth between Brooklyn ...29 comments 71 Recs
- I meant to write this up a couple of weeks ago when Elizabeth Warren released a report called, "Broken Promises: Decades of Failure to Enforce Labor Standards in Free Trade Agreements" but, well, ...30 comments 31 Recs
- Rep. Matt Salmon is considering a primary campaign against John McCain On Tuesday, Democratic Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick announced that she would challenge Republican Sen. John McCain, but the senator ...8 comments 14 Recs
- Maryland Democrat John Delaney took to the Washington Post yesterday to make the argument that Democrats who are providing a "loud voice" on issues ...9 comments 16 Recs
- No current results.