If you’ve never heard of TED, (Technology, Entertainment and Design) you’re in for a treat. TED Talks, are an enlightening series of public conferences around the world that seek to educate and entertain.
The speakers are given a maximum of 18 minutes to present their ideas in the most innovative and engaging ways they can. Past presenters include Bill Clinton, Jane Goodall, Malcolm Gladwell, Al Gore, Gordon Brown, Richard Dawkins, Bill Gates, Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and many Nobel Prize winners.
Recently, one particular TED talk video by American filmmaker, educator and author, Jackson Katz, was captured on the Upworthy site, and has since gone viral. I first saw the headline/title: ”A TED Talk That Might Turn Every Man Who Watches It Into A Feminist? It’s Pretty Fantastic.”Katz:As Katz goes on to explain in his TED Talk, he is almost out of breath as he speaks. It’s as if he wants so badly to say everything he needs to say in less that 20 minutes, while having the strongest possible impact. If so, his mission was accomplished. After I watched it, my first thought was, “If only every man, woman and teenager could see this video and hear this message.”
“I’m going to share with you, a paradigm shifting perspective, on the issues of gender violence, sexual assault, domestic violence, relationship abuse, sexual harassment, sexual abuse of children… that whole range of issues that are referred to, in shorthand, as ‘gender violence’ issues. They’ve been seen as women’s issues – that some good men help out with. But I have a problem with that frame, and I don’t accept it.
Here is the TED Talk Video With Jackson Katz:
Find out more about Jackson Katz on his website.
Diarist Also Posted Story In Addicting Info:http://www.addictinginfo.org/...
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
JanetT in MD, fixxit, loggersbrat, arlene, karmsy, treesrock, Calamity Jean, Lacy LaPlante, serendipityisabitch, CoyoteMarti, 2thanks, mettle fatigue, LaraJones
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- Police crush, kill man begging for his life, screaming he was suffocating until his ears turned blueRobert Minjarez Jr. with his mother Some are calling Robert Minjarez Jr. the Latino Eric Garner. Sadly, the comparison is uncanny— including ...191 comments 333 Recs
- 201 comments 320 Recs
- Terrible Presidential candidate Jeb Bush has had a very hard time distancing himself from his brother George Jr., the worst President in US history. Okay, maybe he is showing some of them ...29 comments 41 Recs
- The other day a guy tried to run me off the road. I was driving to work at around 70mph in heavy traffic. A large pickup passes me on the right, and then barrels into my lane with about 3 feet of ...74 comments 34 Recs
- A section of Refugio State Beach tainted by oil from burst pipe. Since 2006, the U.S. Pipeline and ...117 comments 149 Recs
- GOP 2016 hopefuls have decided it's all about the base on ...22 comments 23 Recs
- A portion of the 4-mile-wide oil spill near Santa Barbara, CA Campers at popular Refugio State Beach in California were alarmed by noxious fumes and notified authorities, who discovered ...102 comments 157 Recs
- I wanted to write about "Grace and Frankie" this week. The new series on Netflix stars Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda as two 70-something wives whose husbands ...180 comments 89 Recs
- Quick heads-up to remind my fellow progressives to be a bit more cautious when sharing anti-Hillary memes on the Net. Karl Rove and the Koch brothers are busy trying to undermine our strongest ...421 comments 184 Recs
- I guess this is the kind of heart-warming bipartisanship President Obama has been hoping for after all these years of tooth-and-nail opposition from Republicans: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Top ...100 comments 97 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.