You can click here to sign Coons' petition:26,000 – That is the shocking number of sexual assaults the Department of Defense estimated took place in the military in 2012.
Worse yet, in 2011, only 10% of the reported cases even resulted in a trial.
Victims are victimized twice: first, by their attacker, and then, again by a system devoid of accountability.
This disturbing rise of sexual assaults and lack of accountability is unacceptable. I'm working with several of my colleagues in the Senate to pass the Military Justice Improvement Act, which would reform how the military handles sexual assault cases so that there are real repercussions for abuse. It is a serious crime. It should be treated as such.
Add your name now to call for the immediate passage of this legislation. We need you with us.
Click here to join us in speaking out. Let every member of Congress know that you want this reform passed immediately. Victims deserve better:
The Pentagon must do a better job making sure everyone who wears a uniform knows that sexual assault is wrong and will be punished to the full extent.The key component of the proposed legislation will put people who are trained and skilled at administering justice in charge of how sexual assault accusations are handled in our armed forces.
Passing this bill is the least we can do for the courageous men and women who have sacrificed so much to secure our freedom. They deserve better than rampant abuse. They deserve better than a culture that too often fails to hold perpetrators accountable.
Will you add your support behind this effort and help us get it passed?
Click here to call on every member of Congress to help reform the way our military deals with sexual assault:
We have to do better by the men and women who serve for us.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Chris Coons (D. DE):
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...99 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...137 comments 222 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...284 comments 442 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 299 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.