- Is he tacking left this week or right? Is he pandering to the base or looking ahead to a general election? On Friday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie bolted to the right, vetoing the attempt to make expansion of Medicaid permanent in New Jersey. And oh, yeah—surprise!—he doesn't think President Obama knows how to lead. Can't you just feel the siren song of primaries whistling in his ears? (Susan Gardner)
- Wired has featured a geo-tagged Twitter map that originally came from the awesome floatingsheep, showing where the #StandWithWendy hashtag originated the night Texas State Sen. Wendy Davis filibustered for 13 hours. Sure, Texas was first, but there was quite a bit of interest nationally as well. (Susan Gardner)
- No book for you, Paula Deen! (Susan Gardner)
- Might Pride parades go condom-free? It almost happened in Houston. (Laura Clawson)
- It's the last day of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's iconic metal admission tags. It's a decision that makes all kinds of economic and environmental sense, but it's still a little sad. (Laura Clawson)
- Victims of the Boston Marathon bombings will be receiving payments from a $60.9 million fund, from $8,000 for people who had injuries treated at the hospital but didn't have to be admitted all the way up to:
... maximum payments of nearly $2.2 million each to two double amputees and the families of the four people slain.(Laura Clawson)
Fourteen other people who lost single limbs will receive nearly $1.2 million each. In all, 232 victims will receive payments, said Camille Biros, deputy administrator of the One Fund Boston, which has been collecting public donations for the victims.
Jean-Paul Sartre is sitting at a French cafe, revising his draft of Being and Nothingness. He says to the waitress, "I'd like a cup of coffee, please, with no cream." The waitress replies, "I'm sorry, Monsieur, but we're out of cream. How about with no milk?"Do you love intellectual jokes? Then you'll definitely enjoy this Reddit thread, filled with references to Gödel, Higgs bosons, and what happens when you put root beer in a square glass. (The answer is something much tastier.)
Time to say goodbye to these iconic little fellas
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, Zinman, 88kathy, gpoutney, blueoregon, JeffW, Sixty Something, commonmass, stevenaxelrod, annieli, wintergreen8694, DRo
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by David Nir
- (click to enlarge all images) Daily Kos Elections is pleased to introduce a brand-new approach to mapping America's congressional districts. Months in the making, and inspired in part ...29 comments 48 Recs
- What these guys lacked in consistency, they made up for in accuracy on Election Eve. Of the nearly two dozen pollsters that met the parameters for our biennial study ...18 comments 17 Recs
- Alberta Liberal Party Leader David Swann Cross-posted from Daveberta.ca Now that the great orange chinook has finally put an ...11 comments 16 Recs
- Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal Democratic Party leader Nick Clegg is in real danger of losing his ...48 comments 40 Recs
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...120 comments 296 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 137 Recs
- Hello again! This is your first friendly REMINDER DIARY about our upcoming NYC MEETUP with very special guest PEREGRINE KATE. It also comes with a request for help. Original plans for where ...11 comments 14 Recs
- British Prime Minister David Cameron For over a hundred years, British politics has largely functioned as a three-party ...71 comments 84 Recs
- Alberta's May election has turned from a Tory cakewalk into a must-watch three-way fight. Here's whyAlberta Premier Jim Prentice of the Progressive Conservative Party It wasn't ...24 comments 44 Recs
- Bob Marley -- "Waiting in Vain"359 comments 5 Recs
David Nir's Blogroll
- Subscribe to the Daily Digest
- Daily Kos Elections Mission Statement
- Daily Kos Elections Glossary
- Presidential Vote by Congressional Districts
- Presidential Vote by Legislative Districts
- Legislative District Maps
- Complete Redistricting Resources
- Primary Elections Calendar
- Legislative & Mayoral Elections Calendar
- Race Ratings
- Polling Database
- Election Outlook