I leave for vacation in just under 72 hours, so my mind has drifted to sweet tempting treats rather than contemplate the as-yet-unpacked suitcases. Grab your spoon or straw and follow me below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosagnocchi waffle cone dividerthingie fold after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
There are two varieties of cold frozen treats that come to my mind:
Ice cream (or ice creamlike items) - creamy scoops or twirls of deliciousness, in just about any flavor imagineable. Ice cream, sorbet, gelato, frozen yogurt... it's all good! My favorite ice cream shoppe is the next town over. They always have a dozen or so flavors of hardpack ice cream/sorbet made on premise, and they also make any flavor of soft-server you want. "Make?" They have a machine that turns an ice cream or frozen yogurt hardpack 'base' plus any flavor you desire, from coffee to raspberry to mango to cinnamon, into soft-serve. My last concoction was raspberry peach, and the tiny bits of frozen REAL raspberry and peach (I watched him add scoops of frozen fruit to the base) was unbelievably good.
Italian ice/slush (or other waterbased frozen things) - whether scoopable or drinkable, or sometimes both if the day is hot enough :), this frozen sweet concoction is the treat I reach for when I'm both craving something cold AND am thirsty. Whether I choose lemon or cherry/blue raspberry depends on whether my shirt is light or dark-colored! I have fond childhood memories of getting Italian Ice cups from the store, eating the top with that little wooden paddle/spoon, then flipping it over to get to the crunchy frozen syrup that melted and refroze in the freezer.
But what if I want both? ::Hey! I'm not greedy, I just am drawn to variety! Those of you who know me well enough to giggle at this, we'll all share the secret handshake later:: Two years ago, however, thanks to JustOneMore Dad, Casa Brillig was introduced to the most amazing treat ever: soft-serve AND slush all in one! Thank you Ritas!
Casa Brillig's choices the last time we visited Rita's: three "gelati" and one pure ice cream afficianado:
So what's your favorite frozen treat? Creamy bowls or cones drizzled with Magic Shell or sprinkles, or a cup of slush with a spoon-straw? Or something totally different? Do share in the comments!
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From maggiejean:From Dave in Northridge:Here's the link to JekyllnHyde's comment on Meteor Blade's Open thread for night owls..
An entirely Top Comments family production: commonmass delivers a great truth about our late husbands and life in Chrislove's diary about the escalating civil disobedience supporting marriage equality in Pennsylvania.From Chrislove:
I posted a diary today about a Pennsylvania mayor who is joining Montgomery County officials in defying the state's version of DOMA. It attracted so many beautiful comments that I think I'd like to just nominate all of them. I'd especially point you to the comments by commonmass, Dave in Northridge, and sfbob.
From Yours Truly, brillig:Hunter's diary National Rifle Association discovers new zoo-based conspiracy brings us RichM's theory on how some of our opponents spent their childhoods, and RudiB's arms strategy.
Top Mojo for yesterday, August 5th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) Only when enough of us go into the streets by sturunner — 98
2) NO - Reading is fundamental... by inclusiveheart — 89
3) We-e-e-ll... by karmsy — 88
4) You're half right by Rosalie907 — 86
5) The story says NSA was the source in at least by ukit — 82
6) Sigh...I wish I knew want in the heck you by Morgan Sandlin — 81
7) I am sure getting tyrannized by landlords by Einsteinia — 80
8) Does this mean the Post by Publius2008 — 76
9) It is already being widely abused by voracious — 74
10) NBC and CNN should look him in the eye and say by zenbassoon — 71
11) We can name very specific crimes by Dumbo — 68
12) Ah so the drug war is by david mizner — 68
13) Graysaon wrist slapped for handing out mateials by Don midwest — 67
14) And now the departments are all howling by voracious — 65
15) This is What it Means by JekyllnHyde — 64
16) It's not sustainable by lunachickie — 64
17) I'm cautiously optimistic by phenry — 63
18) You're not missing a GD thing by RFK Lives — 61
19) It is just a matter of time by Thomas Twinnings — 61
20) Proves the admin are liars, at least. by TJ — 60
21) Didn't the Administration just tell us by pajoly — 60
22) Hey, now... by Hatrax — 59
23) You are just way to kind and naive by xxdr zombiexx — 56
24) All Lives Have Equal Value by jessical — 55
25) I just posted a new link for the rate chart by nyceve — 54
26) Cough (Koch) cough by ericlewis0 — 54
27) already greased up, as well by jessical — 54
28) At this point, by Kingsmeg — 53
29) Important story. by TomP — 52
30) Mine Too In His 12th Year. by Gooserock — 52
31) I read about this 20 years ago by slippytoad — 52
Top Pictures for yesterday, August 5th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!