Motion Picture Association of America and Recording Industry Association of America Teach Copyright at Kindergartens
The Center for Copyright Information, a partnership between the MPAA, RIAA and five large U.S. Internet providers, is teaching copyright classes in California public schools. The group, which also heads the six-strikes alert system, has developed a curriculum targeted at kids from kindergarten through sixth grade. Critics question how objective the educational material will be and fear that it will lack balance.
[Story's middle at link location]
These and other insights are used to better communicate their anti-piracy messaging, and CCI hopes that this will eventually lead to less copyright infringements.
“This research is helping us to better understand the drivers of consumer behavior around piracy and, we hope, will help us to improve the CCI’s effectiveness in communicating our messages and ultimately reduce the level of online piracy and increase content consumption through legal means.”
Aside from the alerts, which are targeted at the person who pays the Internet bill, the CCI is also reaching out to a much younger group of U.S. citizens. Together with iKeepSafe they have developed a new curriculum that will teach the value of copyright to California kids, starting at kindergarten.
“We have developed a new copyright curriculum that is being piloted during this academic year in California,” Lesser informs the House Judiciary Subcommittee.
“The kindergarten through sixth grade curriculum, entitled ‘Be A Creator’™, is the result of CCI’s partnership with the California School Libraries Association and iKeepSafe, a leading digital literacy organization.”
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by ShockandAwed
- As Pope Francis comes more and more out of the Progressive Closet he begins to gain more and more pushback from the Rightwing who have long claimed that their Unrepentant Greed was Godly. ...319 comments 606 Recs
- Of course when contributions are on the line the GOP is scared shitless...When leaving thousands of uninsured behind the GOP says meh.... Secret conversations are taking place in Florida between ...80 comments 109 Recs
- Officially an old man now. As I am gathering my stuff to leave the cardiac ward, Philitrina, my afternoon nurse, gives me one additional bit of advice: Do not ignore the warning about not lifting ...684 comments 1328 Recs
- The TPP document Wikileaks released today is dated Augut 30, 2013. Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) Today, 13 November 2013, WikiLeaks released the secret negotiated draft text ...12 comments 47 Recs
- Take that picture of the dead elephant down. You do yourself and the site a disservice by posting that revolting picture. In Zimbabwe at least 100 elephants were murdered by poisoning. Because of ...267 comments 400 Recs
- No amount of protest is going to stop the USA from joining in on the Trans-Pacific Parnership. It's a done deal, with a few details to work out. Here's what I found today. Today I found reference ...51 comments 26 Recs
- Awesome : Many restaurants in the DC area are offering "shutdown specials" to furloughed employees so long as government remains closed, but members of Congress ...69 comments 210 Recs
- Just another day in the land of the theoretically free . Incredible, but true, courtesy of TechDirt, Washington's Blog, University of Washington Law Professor Ryan Calo, and WABC-TV, New York; and, ...76 comments 68 Recs
- Yes, he said that. Not in those precise words, but he said it. You be the Judge: " The reason this debt limit fight is different is, we don't have an election around the corner where we feel we ...146 comments 520 Recs
- To the people in control of the Executive Branch, violating our civil liberties is an essential government service. So -- to ensure total fulfillment of Big Brother’s vast responsibilities -- the ...19 comments 24 Recs
- No current results.