McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, the lawsuit challenging the total amount of money a single donor can give to all federal candidates could have far-reaching implications for the way campaigns and political parties are financed.In a not-encouraging sign, the Court has given Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's lawyers 10 minutes of the hour-long argument to argue for McCutcheon, even though McConnell is not directly involved in the case at all. McConnell, however, is deeply committed to the cause of raising as much money as he possibly can for his re-election, in the name of the First Amendment, of course.
The court’s 2010 Citizens United decision has entered the vernacular as shorthand for the explosion of money in politics. That case, along with another that allowed the creation of super PACs, led to donors writing multimillion-dollar checks. Because of the way modern campaigns are financed — by candidates partnering with federal, state and local parties — McCutcheon’s lawsuit could have the consequence of allowing politicians to ask a single donor for $1 million a pop, or more. [...]
Though the case deals only with the total donation cap, the court could use the opportunity to undercut—or toss—the laws governing contribution limits to candidates. Or, more likely, it could crack open the door for other challenges that would further roll back the campaign-finance system that has been in place since the early 1970s.
Mitch McConnell's fondest desire.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
MeToo, LakeSuperior, Sun Tzu, Rosaura, NonnyO, Polly Syllabic, slice, annieli, FarWestGirl, Azazello, Trotskyrepublican, Glen The Plumber, Liberty Equality Fraternity and Trees
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 131 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 58 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:33 comments 50 Recs
- In a move which stunned many Court observers—certainly including me—the ...57 comments 60 Recs
- Johno Espejo (left) and Matthew Mansell, a plaintiff couple in the marriage equality case, being interviewed outside the Supreme Court.52 comments 73 Recs
- Senator Bernie Sanders is running for President. From Vermont Public Radio : VPR News has learned from several sources that independent U.S. Sen. Bernie ...815 comments 536 Recs
- One of Corinthian Colleges' for-profit campuses. The drawn-out collapse of Corinthian Colleges was completed Sunday with the company's announcement that 28 of its campuses would be immediately ...41 comments 62 Recs
- Greetings from Asheville! DKos Asheville 4/28/15 DKos Asheville brought its eighth community meet up to life this past weekend with a historic appearance of a civil rights icon, Dr Fergie Reid, in ...45 comments 30 Recs
- Making new an old-fashioned party-building ...192 comments 195 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.