- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Why can't they compromise?:
- Russian media, politicians think Nobel Committee robbed Vladimir Putin:
Sure, some have spent the past few days lamenting that Pakistani girls' education advocate Malala Yousafzai didn't receive the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday. But several Russian news outlets and politicians have been grousing about a separate slight: the Hague-based watchdog Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) wresting the prize from their own human rights crusader and international peacekeeper: Vladimir Putin.
"This is absolutely unfair that the OPCW was given this title," State Duma deputy Iosif Kobzon, a member of Putin's United Russia party, told the state-owned news service Itar-Tass, according to Pravda.Ru. "Who forced Syria to destroy chemical weapons, if not Putin? Who made Assad sign all agreements of the UN Security Council for the destruction of chemical weapons? They should have given the prize to two nominees then. This is unfair, because Putin is making every effort."
- Supreme Court will rule on EPA's power to regulate greenhouse gases from stationary sources, such as power plants:
The granted issue is: “Whether EPA permissibly determined that its regulation of greenhouse gas emissions from new motor vehicles triggered permitting requirements under the Clean Air Act for stationary sources that emit greenhouse gases.” The petitions were consolidated for one hour of oral argument. The Court denied review of three other petitions challenging EPA on greenhouse gas rules.
- Dr. Danielle Lee, aka The Urban Scientist, was asked by Biology Online to write for them. After she politely declined, Biology Online said this: Because we don't pay for blog entries? Are you an urban scientist or an urban whore? In lieu of flying middle fingers or simply a blank stare, Dr. Lee made an incredibly thoughtful response.
On the latest #TWiBRadio, discussed running President Obama out of town on a rail, the state punishing citizens for doing the right thing, and I write a firmly worded memo. Weigh in on the comments and check out more at This Week in Blackness!
- Photos from the oil spill North Dakota tried to keep secret.
- And we thought Ann Coulter was being autobiographical here:
“The problem is we have hucksters, shysters, people ripping off the Republican Party for their own self-aggrandizement, for their own egos, to make money,” Coulter said on Fox News’s “Hannity.”That's Liz Cheney, Newt Gingrich, Todd Akin and Mark Sanford she's talking about. She's promoting her new book, so expect more goodies like this.
- Rielle Hunter apologizes for being bad. You're probably shocked to learn that she's on tour, promoting her book.
- Petroleum coke, a byproduct of tar sands mining, piles higher in Chicago:
“It’s growing by leaps and bounds,” Southeast Environmental Task Force member Tom Shepherd, told Midwest Energy News. “It’s coming at a breathtaking rate.”
The pet coke is owned by billionaire industrialists Charles and David Koch whose operations drew similar outrage from residents and elected officials in Detroit earlier this year. In July, a large black cloud of pet coke dust was spotted over the Detroit River and caught on camera by residents across the border in Windsor. Members of the communities in close proximity to the piles were complaining of respiratory problems as the thick, black dust was blowing off the piles and into their apartments.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, we're still in shutdown, but almost at a rejectable compromise! Greg Dworkin on the NBC/Esquire "the new American center" poll, and the 14th amendment vs. the conservatives goal of default. Seven Dems who voted for that rule disarming us on the clean CR. Matt Yglesias on the Vitter amendment. More on Bruce McF's premium bonds. A musical interlude from Lauren Mayer (aka PsychoSuperMom). WaPo: "How the Tea Party broke the Constitution." Chait's "Senators Near Deal on GOP Surrender." More Bruce McF, this time connecting Gop "fungibility" theory with labor boycotts. Interesting!
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, nicolemm, eeff, Eyesbright, Diana in NoVa, PSzymeczek, Knucklehead, JeffW, bluemoonfever, Dragon5616, Larsstephens, Polly Syllabic, translatorpro, wintergreen8694, waiting for lefty, ratcityreprobate, a2nite, aresea, jbsoul
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Go to BernieSanders.com and give!9 comments 24 Recs
- Right after Bernie Sanders announced his intention to run, grassroots supporters from the occupy, labor, environmental and socialist movements published an open letter endorsing his candidacy . ...46 comments 67 Recs
- 82 comments 169 Recs
- Yesterday 174 Kogs posted 218 posts of which 210 were recommended at least once by a cadre of 1781 recommending readers; 123 posts were recommended by 10 or more readers, 54 by 30 or more, ...4 comments 18 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...118 comments 31 Recs
- 44 comments 34 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 131 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12304)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24702)
- Community (90298)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55793)
- eKos (12436)
- Environment (45655)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14703)
- Jobs (12408)
- Labor (28253)
- Libya (4263)