The September jobs report found that the federal government employs 2,723,000 civilian workers, which Floyd Norris points out ”is the lowest figure since 1966.”So, despite the fact that the U.S. population is 172 percent larger as of the 2010 census compared to that of 1960, we still have roughly the same number of workers in the federal government to provide services now as we did then. Just one more way in which conservative truthiness falls victim to factual reality.
“Now, the federal government employs exactly 2 percent of the people with jobs in this country. In 1966, the figure was more than twice that, 4.3 percent.”
It's smaller than you're being led to believe.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
a gilas girl, Gooserock, exNYinTX, TracieLynn, litho, retLT, Gowrie Gal, T Rex, Erevann, elwior, TheOpinionGuy, Polly Syllabic, annieli, Ojibwa, jan4insight, ZatCSU, MugWumpBlues, ET3117, Dodgerdog1
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Dante Atkins
- California’s the center of the new energy revolution—if there was ever any doubt about that, Elon Musk’s announcement of his new home battery from Tesla’s design studio in Hawthorne settled ...13 comments 66 Recs
- Cross-posted at ACA Signups Y'know, there's all sorts of ways to spin formal press releases. For instance: Moments ago, the HHS Dept. of the United States sent out this press release, touting the ...33 comments 150 Recs
- I just got this note from Jack Thompson, Cedwyn's father. "Cedwyn passed away tonight, quietly, gracefully and at peace." He continued "Please pass our appreciation and gratitude to all of the ...267 comments 718 Recs
- For those who haven't heard, MsSpent Youth got word this morning that Cedwyn 's gone downhill overnight. We haven't had any word since then (that I am aware of) and I think everyone's decided to ...226 comments 624 Recs
- The final tally for Climate Hawks Vote in 2014: we endorsed in 17 elections, including 3 primaries and 14 general election races; we won 11 and lost 6. No matter what, I'm proud of all of our ...15 comments 35 Recs
- By @BginKC Wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. That really happened. It was Saturday, and I'm still struggling to process it, but that changes nothing. It happened. By now you have all seen the ...128 comments 182 Recs
- To my friends in the Kos community: I know you care about electing progressives, and I care about electing progressives, so that's why I am ringing this alarm bell . No one is fired up to vote on ...58 comments 226 Recs
- then have I got a no-brainer for you. Imagine a Democratic office holder with a long track record of being a progressive on issue after issue. Now imagine someone who just because s/heia entitled ...48 comments 155 Recs
- ALEC & Grover will be on NPR's Diane Rehm radio show tomorrow. I'm asked to help get the word out about this to encourage people to call in How fun would interrogating Grover on national radio be?15 comments 31 Recs
- Daily Kos was built on the notion that regular people were just as important in our political discourse as the so-called experts, that pundits didn't have a monopoly on wisdom, that power could be ...242 comments 500 Recs
Dante Atkins's Tags
- No current results.