It seems that when the Affordable Care Act is fully implemented, it will work I believe to provide what many Americans need. However, I do have a problem with some of the high deductibles that are part and parcel of this act.
Because as a provider, there are some who are unable to come up with their deductible when they need services. In fact, every day at our outpatient surgical care center, we have cancellations because there was a deductible that could not be met by the patient and their procedure was cancelled.
As those who are on Medicare for the first 80% of their bill and a secondary to cover the remaining 20% know, there is no need to pay a deductible.
I am wondering if there would be an insurance market or model for a secondary insurance to cover the deductible ranging from $2000-25000 so that the deductible would not be a factor in patients getting their services without the angst of worrying about the deductible.
Is this something that would be feasible? To me the deductible is another doughnut hole in coverage.