You can click here to add your name:I was born and raised in Alaska and traveled throughout meeting with Alaskans about how to improve our communities. I know our state faces challenges that most people in the Lower 48 just don’t get. Alaska can’t prosper unless all of our communities -- rural and tribal communities included -- are thriving. And so far, policies out of Washington D.C. haven’t fit the needs of our rural communities.
Right now, we simply need to do more to protect Alaska Native children. Native kids are more likely to be victims of abuse. They have lower high school and college graduation rates. And they have a suicide rate more than double the national average.
We need to do more to protect Alaska Native children. My colleague, Senator Heidi Heitkamp from North Dakota, is fighting to create a commission to study and solve this too-often-ignored problem for native children across the country. I’m fighting alongside her on behalf of every Native child in Alaska.
Today, I wanted to give you the chance to join us. Tell Congress to support Alaska Native children by signing the petition today:
It’s not often in Washington that we get a chance to pass a bill that is good policy, works for Alaska, and could actually save lives. This is one of those rare moments where we can do a whole lot of good for a whole lot of kids.
I’m proud to join Heidi to create this commission so we can shed some light on the problems facing Native children and find real solutions. And I hope you’ll show Congress you’re standing with us by signing the petition today:
Thank you for your help.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Mark Begich (D. AK) regarding Alaska Native children's safety:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Meteor Blades, Radiowalla, greenbird, CanisMaximus, Lawrence, churchylafemme, murrayewv, J Rae, martini, Lefty Coaster, US Blues, Assaf, Pale Jenova, earicicle, moviemeister76, Susan Grigsby, angelajean, Polly Syllabic, Ojibwa, worldlotus, Democrats Ramshield, Olkate, jbob, blue91
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...81 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...134 comments 218 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...271 comments 439 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...169 comments 298 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 58 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.