You can click here to thank Abercrombie and Quinn for making marriage equality a reality in their states:Momentum for equality continues to build.
This afternoon, Illinois became the 16th state to support full marriage equality when our Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn signed it into law. And, just last week Gov. Neil Abercrombie signed marriage equality into law in Hawaii.
It is thanks to the pro-equality leadership of Governors Quinn and Abercrombie – and the millions who supported them – that this day has come. To quote Martin Luther King Jr, "the arc of the moral universe...bends towards justice." This month we're seeing it bend.
Please take a moment to thank Governors Abercrombie and Quinn. In Illinois and Hawaii – at day's end – no one will have to be told his or her love doesn't count.Sign our note thanking Governors Quinn and Abercrombie for signing marriage equality into law.
It’s easy to look backwards on history and see progress as inevitable. But the reality is far from that.
While Democratic governors have consistently been on the side of progress, Republican governors like Texas’ Rick Perry and Oklahoma’s Mary Fallin are actively discriminating against same-sex couples, even defying a Pentagon directive to grant equal benefits to same-sex military couples.
When asked why Illinois took a different path, Governor Quinn responded: “We’re a welcoming state. We don’t want to be like any state that would discriminate against people when it comes to equality in the matter of love.”
That’s a governor who isn’t just waiting for progress to happen: he’s helping to hammer that “arc of the moral universe” into place.
Stand with Governors Quinn and Abercrombie on the side of progress for equal marriage rights.
Years later, we’ll all look back on this with pride. I hope you’ll join us.
Democratic Governors Association
Received this e-mail today from the Democratic Governors Association regarding marriage equality in both Hawaii and Illinois:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Alaska sets new record for earliest day with temperatures in the 90s! Temperature in Alaska on the afternoon of May 23, 2015, based on data from NOAA's Real-time Mesoscale Unbelievable that ...132 comments 212 Recs
- New York, I love you, but you're freaking me out. I've been working full time and trying to find a place to live that I can afford and it is going nowhere. Bouncing back and forth between Brooklyn ...29 comments 70 Recs
- I meant to write this up a couple of weeks ago when Elizabeth Warren released a report called, "Broken Promises: Decades of Failure to Enforce Labor Standards in Free Trade Agreements" but, well, ...29 comments 31 Recs
- Rep. Matt Salmon is considering a primary campaign against John McCain On Tuesday, Democratic Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick announced that she would challenge Republican Sen. John McCain, but the senator ...8 comments 13 Recs
- Maryland Democrat John Delaney took to the Washington Post yesterday to make the argument that Democrats who are providing a "loud voice" on issues ...9 comments 16 Recs
- Earlier today, May 28th, the NC house cleared a gay marriage objections bill that allows court officials to opt out of same-sex marriage duties based on religious Objections “sincerely held”.7 comments 15 Recs
- The Justice Department has indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert on reporting evasion charges and lying to the FBI as part of an effort to pay off victims of “prior bad acts.” In an ...86 comments 112 Recs
- He's already won. Believe it or not (I didn't at first), Hillary's primary poll ...835 comments 157 Recs
- More popular than the jokers in the GOP side. Here is the ...374 comments 145 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...336 comments 335 Recs
- No current results.