Big #GunFAIL roundup today, with the publication of the New Year's Eve "celebratory gunfire" reports. New Year's Eve and July 4th are like Black Friday for GunFAIL. Twenty-three kids were accientally shot last week. And only two of them were hit by celebratory gunfire. Fifteen houses shot up, and five people hit, too. And three more people out shopping or dining with their guns strapped on accidentally set them off in stores and restaurants. In other news, Joan McCarter joined us for her weekly round-up. Unemployment Insurance renewal inches forward in the Senate, perhaps only to hang up on finding an unnecessary "pay-for." Dan Coates says he voted for cloture on moving UI forward because he ddin't want to strengthen Harry Reid's nuclear option hand. But on the other hand, even with the filibuster out of the way on judicial nominations, the White House didn't renominate William Thomas, who (if confirmed) would have been the first openly-gay African-American man on the federal bench. Joan walks us through the gigantic WaPo report on the vast web of Koch brothers political money and interlocking PACs, non-profits, etc. And Politico's report that "internet sensation" Mark "Coonrippy" Brown will post a primary challenge to Tennessee's sitting governor, just as soon as he's finished editing his videos of himself showering with his pet raccoon. Goodnight, everybody! Tip your waiters! Oh, wait, also the mostly-missing debunking of Obamacare "horror stories." The Chris Christie George Washington Bridge closure scandal blew up again while we were on the air, too. We followed-up Joan's Koch brothers story with Paul Waldman's take on it in "The Circle of Scam." And finally, the NYT's coverage of how gun enthusiasts, and more importantly, the gun manufacturers, hounded a Guns & Ammo writer out of his job for suggesting there might be common sense compromises that should be pursued on gun safety. All just days before many of the same people claimed it was un-American for others to try to do the same with Duck Dynasty.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by David Waldman
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 714 Recs
- Police arriving on the scene and acting immediately. On Saturday, November 22, a 911 caller alerted police that a young man outside a recreation center appeared to have a gun. Although the ...360 comments 115 Recs
- The star of last night's Florida governor's debate. The rules of the debate that I was shown by the Scott campaign say that there should be no fan. Somehow there is a fan there. And for ...277 comments 298 Recs
- I like radio. I'm a member of the radio underground. I've got enough decisions to make, so I'm happy to let somebody else with skills and insight select my listening content for me. Surprise me. ...55 comments 25 Recs
- Pretty impressive eh? Did it with a little bit of dumpster diving, a couple of earth posters and about six bucks worth of paint. The sad thing, apart from the obvious OCD, is that these are ...34 comments 322 Recs
- ESPN Washington Football Team Reporter John Keim writes about the Redskins trademark dispute: Stay out, government : I agree with this take from The Washington Post’s Sally ...50 comments 38 Recs
- 61 comments 85 Recs
- (Hope this won't be too long for you all) Back in the archaic, colorless TV days of June 2008, I came to this great site bemused by how our centrist, corporate media still didn't want to do its ...68 comments 180 Recs
- A woman looked out her window in Harbin, China and said "I couldn't see anything outside the window and I thought it was snowing". Then she realized it wasn't snow but instead it was dangerous, ...18 comments 50 Recs
- The ultra-short version: A new group, and a new diary series: #kt2 : Kossacks Tweet Too! Our diaries will be dedicated to publishing "follow-me" buttons for one-stop follows, and promoting the ...52 comments 18 Recs
David Waldman's Tags
- No current results.