Click here to add your name:The Trans-Pacific Partnership -- otherwise known as "NAFTA on steroids" -- was just dealt a huge blow. Late yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters in no uncertain terms that he opposes legislation that would "fast track" the treaty.
However, while Reid's firm stance diminishes the chances that the President will be given fast track authority by the Senate, it doesn't kill those chances completely. If Fast Track were to pass the House, Reid would be under overwhelming pressure from moderate Democrats -- especially those up for re-election this year -- to cave in and allow the bill to pass with mostly Republican votes.Progressives need to keep Reid out of that dangerous position. And we can't do that without the vocal support of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Reid did his part. Now it's time for Rep. Pelosi to do hers. Tell Nancy Pelosi to put her foot down -- publicly oppose Fast Track and the TPP today.
Nancy Pelosi is with us on the issues that matter most 90% of the time. She voted against giving President Bush fast track authority in 2002, and she was a vocal opponent of other similar trade deals like CAFTA. She's said publicly that she has concerns about the TPP. Yet she continues to avoid taking the kind of bold stance against Fast Track and TPP that might make a difference in the legislation's chances.
Right now, we need leadership -- not lip service -- to stop the next NAFTA. Potential Democratic co-sponsors of Fast Track in the House are watching Pelosi closely. They don't want to go against party leaders publicly. But if they can claim ignorance of the Minority Leader's position, they might jump in and give this bill the bipartisan credibility it needs to become law.
We've had Nancy Pelosi's back in the past. American workers need her help today. Tell Leader Pelosi to take a bold, clear stand against Fast Track and the TPP now.
Thank you for keeping Democrats honest,
Jim Dean, Chair
Democracy for America
Sorry to publish another diary so soon but this is important. Democracy For America is putting the pressure on House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D. CA-12) to stop the fast-track of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade dealL
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
chuck utzman, Odysseus, wu ming, KayCeSF, Laurence Lewis, kurt, aliasalias, bobswern, TomP, fb, JamieG from Md, joe from Lowell, SouthernLiberalinMD, Azazello, Mr Robert, Brown Thrasher, Glen The Plumber, wasatch, Banach MacAmbrais, occupystephanie
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet got some ...14 comments 6 Recs
- Under the First Amendment, you have the right to petition your government to redress your grievances. Now would be a good time to do that. Today. According to public reports, the 18 Democratic ...8 comments 50 Recs
- FTR, a 2007 Martin O'Malley and Harold Ford (!) column in defense of "the vital center" (and the DLC): Some liberals are so confident about Democratic prospects that they contend the centrism that ...10 comments 18 Recs
- Rep. John Delaney (D-Doofus) Holy crap this guy is a doofus.140 comments 85 Recs
- The gloves are off, the sides have been clearly drawn. It's the president, the Republican Party and business versus the people, workers, labor and most of the Democratic Party. And a top House ...83 comments 168 Recs
- Alaska sets new record for earliest day with temperatures in the 90s! Temperature in Alaska on the afternoon of May 23, 2015, based on data from NOAA's Real-time Mesoscale Unbelievable that ...133 comments 213 Recs
- New York, I love you, but you're freaking me out. I've been working full time and trying to find a place to live that I can afford and it is going nowhere. Bouncing back and forth between Brooklyn ...29 comments 71 Recs
- I meant to write this up a couple of weeks ago when Elizabeth Warren released a report called, "Broken Promises: Decades of Failure to Enforce Labor Standards in Free Trade Agreements" but, well, ...30 comments 31 Recs
- Rep. Matt Salmon is considering a primary campaign against John McCain On Tuesday, Democratic Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick announced that she would challenge Republican Sen. John McCain, but the senator ...8 comments 14 Recs
- Maryland Democrat John Delaney took to the Washington Post yesterday to make the argument that Democrats who are providing a "loud voice" on issues ...9 comments 16 Recs
- No current results.